cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewalls

penguinni
Grafter

Firewalls

I uninstalled Zone Alarm after reading about associated problems on this and other forums and have installed OUTPOST.

Has anyone any experience/comments/recomendations on this or other firewalls?

Im new to Plusnet and upgraded from ISDN to ADSL and so far have experienced no problems from installation to usage (I did have a connection problem initially but it turned out to be a duff phone socket at home!). I download between 40-50 Kbs which is almost 3 times faster than my ISDN. However, some websites eg Ebay, appear to load a tad slower. Any comments?

Stephen
--
15 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Firewalls

Problames with ZoneAlarm? What problems? I've been using it for two years and it catches just about everything you can imagine. Have a look at Gibson Research Corp site... hhtp://www.grc.com ...

they believe in it implicitly after much testing! and also have opinions on others.
N/A

> Problames with ZoneAlarm? What problems? I've been using it for two years and it catches just about everything you can imagine. Have a look at Gibson Research Corp site... hhtp://www.grc.com ...
>
> they believe in it implicitly after much testing! and also have opinions on others.

I think the problem referred to originally was actually the advise given out last weekend during "that event" to turn off Zonealarm or at least lower the protection level, to allow sensible browsing.

Interestingly (at least to me), I visited grc.com just now - and I got the same results from their "testing" whether Zonealarm was running or not.

Does the testing performed by these guys actually do anything at allHuh

Jeremy

--
Saturn
Grafter

The answer to your question surely depends on whether you are using a router and, if so, what firewall capability it has.

Nevertheless, I too have been using ZoneAlarm for some time and, having seen the alert logs, trust it to do a good job. The surprising thing to me is that last week's problems are partlty being blamed on firewalls (ZoneAlarm being included). As far as I am concerned the firewall disabling trick was a temporary bodge to work around a more serious networking problem.
penguinni
Grafter

> > Problames with ZoneAlarm? What problems? I've been using it for two years and it catches just about everything you can imagine. Have a look at Gibson Research Corp site... hhtp://www.grc.com ...
> >
> > they believe in it implicitly after much testing! and also have opinions on others.
>
> I think the problem referred to originally was actually the advise given out last weekend during "that event" to turn off Zonealarm or at least lower the protection level, to allow sensible browsing.
>
> Interestingly (at least to me), I visited grc.com just now - and I got the same results from their "testing" whether Zonealarm was running or not.
>
> Does the testing performed by these guys actually do anything at allHuh
>
> Jeremy
>
>
>
> I did notice possible issues with ZA firstly on this forum and then on other forums where it has been claimed that it slows down connection speeds and has caused other OS problems. One chap even described it as worse than a virus in terms of what it supposedly can do to your registry!
I had no problems personally but thought Id try something else.
>

Community Veteran

> As far as I am concerned the firewall disabling trick was a temporary bodge to work around a more serious networking problem.

Yes and it all seems to be back to normal at the moment.
I have Zone Alarm back up at full again and it is not causing any problems.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

I had problems with ZoneAlarm personal in that to use ICS you had to reduce security to medium thus exposing my ports on any scan although they reported as closed this just wasnt good enough.
I then tried ZoneAlarm Pro this proved a nightmare with ICS so i ditched ZoneAlarm and MS ICS.

I now run Winroute from Kerio and this is truly wonderful software its a combined router for connection sharing and firewall, only had to make a few changes from the default setup to allow my Dungeon Siege server through.
It Stealths everything and protects any PC sharing you internet connection as well, its nearly as tight as my linux box.

Ali
Saturn
Grafter

> > > Problames with ZoneAlarm? What problems? I've been using it for two years and it catches just about everything you can imagine. Have a look at Gibson Research Corp site... hhtp://www.grc.com ...
> > >
> > > they believe in it implicitly after much testing! and also have opinions on others.
> >
> > I think the problem referred to originally was actually the advise given out last weekend during "that event" to turn off Zonealarm or at least lower the protection level, to allow sensible browsing.
> >
> > Interestingly (at least to me), I visited grc.com just now - and I got the same results from their "testing" whether Zonealarm was running or not.
> >
> > Does the testing performed by these guys actually do anything at allHuh
> >
> > Jeremy
> >
> >
> >
> > I did notice possible issues with ZA firstly on this forum and then on other forums where it has been claimed that it slows down connection speeds and has caused other OS problems. One chap even described it as worse than a virus in terms of what it supposedly can do to your registry!
> I had no problems personally but thought Id try something else.
> >
>
>

Interesting what you have heard/seen. I can't say I've really notice a speed degradation and if there is one it isn't much (I usually get >400Kb/s download). I just don't buy the bit about the registry, although I am curious to know what the issue was if you have any more details.
penguinni
Grafter

> > > > Problames with ZoneAlarm? What problems? I've been using it for two years and it catches just about everything you can imagine. Have a look at Gibson Research Corp site... hhtp://www.grc.com ...
> > > >
> > > > they believe in it implicitly after much testing! and also have opinions on others.
> > >
> > > I think the problem referred to originally was actually the advise given out last weekend during "that event" to turn off Zonealarm or at least lower the protection level, to allow sensible browsing.
> > >
> > > Interestingly (at least to me), I visited grc.com just now - and I got the same results from their "testing" whether Zonealarm was running or not.
> > >
> > > Does the testing performed by these guys actually do anything at allHuh
> > >
> > > Jeremy
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I did notice possible issues with ZA firstly on this forum and then on other forums where it has been claimed that it slows down connection speeds and has caused other OS problems. One chap even described it as worse than a virus in terms of what it supposedly can do to your registry!
> > I had no problems personally but thought Id try something else.
> > >
> >
> >
>
> Interesting what you have heard/seen. I can't say I've really notice a speed degradation and if there is one it isn't much (I usually get >400Kb/s download). I just don't buy the bit about the registry, although I am curious to know what the issue was if you have any more details.
>

Im at work just now and dont have the exact site but I think it was the UK forum site of the DSL site folks here use for speedchecking or maybe it was a thread Google threw up when I searched for NEOWATCH
--
Stephen
penguinni
Grafter

> > > > > Problames with ZoneAlarm? What problems? I've been using it for two years and it catches just about everything you can imagine. Have a look at Gibson Research Corp site... hhtp://www.grc.com ...
> > > > >
> > > > > they believe in it implicitly after much testing! and also have opinions on others.
> > > >
> > > > I think the problem referred to originally was actually the advise given out last weekend during "that event" to turn off Zonealarm or at least lower the protection level, to allow sensible browsing.
> > > >
> > > > Interestingly (at least to me), I visited grc.com just now - and I got the same results from their "testing" whether Zonealarm was running or not.
> > > >
> > > > Does the testing performed by these guys actually do anything at allHuh
> > > >
> > > > Jeremy
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I did notice possible issues with ZA firstly on this forum and then on other forums where it has been claimed that it slows down connection speeds and has caused other OS problems. One chap even described it as worse than a virus in terms of what it supposedly can do to your registry!
> > > I had no problems personally but thought Id try something else.
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Interesting what you have heard/seen. I can't say I've really notice a speed degradation and if there is one it isn't much (I usually get >400Kb/s download). I just don't buy the bit about the registry, although I am curious to know what the issue was if you have any more details.
> >
>
> Im at work just now and dont have the exact site but I think it was the UK forum site of the DSL site folks here use for speedchecking or maybe it was a thread Google threw up when I searched for NEOWATCH
>
> --
> Stephen

Have a look at
http://www.btinternet.com/~splyons/problems.html

Stephen
Saturn
Grafter

Cheers
N/A

I use ZoneAlarm Pro now for 2 years....
and would never change it for anything.

The thing that happend before, all you had to do was turn the settings to medium. or just wait till they rolled back.

The other only firewall ive bought was BlackIce Defender, it looks the part...
but doesnt defend much!.
I was hacked and a tojan left in my old Win 98 pc a few years back with that firewall.

So goto http://grc.com and test your sheilds compared with ZoneAlarm Pro.. you won't find any better. as the saying goes.. you get what you pay for!.
--
Jason
=====
Saturn
Grafter

I've tried Shields-Up with and without ZoneAlarm Pro connected. It made no difference and it is my believe that Shields-Up isn't getting past my router. As the router (Netgear DG814) isn't particularly bristling with Firewall features this leads me to think that Shields-Up isn't all it's made out to be! Any views?
jlpappin
Grafter

ZoneAlarm IMO is ***** but only because I have seen people I know bypass it and log into remote machines. However they couldn't bypass Tiny Personal Firewall which has wonderful reviews in the techie world. Also it might be handy for you tojust run netstat every hour or so. Not hard, just open a DOS prompt and type netstat. Look for any ports you don't recognise and check you don't have a trojan. As for www.grc.com, that dude is a muppet. His site tells how he went to find someone DDOS him but it is bullshit. Hi represensitives were all over the place getting help in the underground world yet I see not one piece of credit given there. The DDOS only stopped because the kid carrying it out was told to stop by his eldest brother who wanted to use the PC he controlled it all from lol. So yeah grcs sucks.

N/A

> I've tried Shields-Up with and without ZoneAlarm Pro connected. It made no difference and it is my believe that Shields-Up isn't getting past my router. As the router (Netgear DG814) isn't particularly bristling with Firewall features this leads me to think that Shields-Up isn't all it's made out to be! Any views?

Yep! Your router protects your system to a large extent because it has a specific IP address which is different from your system's, hence any attack will not get to your pc.. but it all depends on what them out there want to achieve. It's always possible for dross to get through which is why a firewall is necessary. If you get ZoneAlarm running and use dialup you will see the difference... look at the alert log in ZoneAlarm.. it'll be full of ***** in dialup!