cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall software - Smoothwall/IPCop Alternative

N/A

Hi,

I've recently moved from NTL Cable Broadband to ADSL with Plus.net. When I was with NTL I used the Smoothwall and IPCop Linux-based firewalls, unfortunatly neither of these currently support the Binatone USB modem supplied by Plus and I'm looking for a (free) alternative.

I'm currently using "SolidShare" which does everything I want it to do, but is going to cost me ££ in a very few days time. Ideally I'd like another Linux based solution, but as far as I can tell there is very little Linux support for the Binatone modem excepting Redhat.

My main requirements are:

1. Firewall
2. NAT/Port forwarding

I would also prefer a "proxy-less" solution.

Anyone got any suggestions?
7 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

Have you tried the Community Forums on www.smoothwall.org - I think you might find some tips on getting the USB modem working - especially if it works on Red-Hat - that's what smoothwall is based on..
N/A

I spent a fruitless Saturday morning on the Smoothwall forums, It appears that several other plus customers have the same problem, but the general answer from the Smoothie team is "maybe in the next release, if someone can write us a GPL driver..." which isn't that helpful to me at the moment........

To be honest I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money on a hardware router, but having been burned with a expensive door stop whilst using NTL, I'm a bit wary of spending £60+ on something that will require rebooting almost as often as the Binatone 500 does.........
N/A

To be honest, a router will always be better than a USB modem.

Somthing like the Xmodem (review on ADSL Guide) should work very well indeed with smootwall.

What router did you previously use (or attempt to) with cable?
N/A

Hi Phillip,

The router was some unbadged nasty from Ebuyer, It'd work for three or four hours and then just lock up, causing me much stress when I was at work and the girlfriend wanted to download her Sims add-ons as a Set Top Box, Router, PC reboot was required in *exactly* the right order to get back on line.....

This time around, I'm leaning towards either D-Link or Linksys, My major concern (apart from the doorstop issue) is that it will support port forwarding and have a decent configurable firewall as if I go down the HW route, I'd ditch the PC based solution to reduce the number of hops.
N/A

That is the reason I sugested the Xmodem.

The Xmodem acts as a bridge, and will present Smoothwall with the public IP address, as did the USB modem.

THis was, all traffic is handled by Smoothwall, where it can act as intended, as a firewall, and perform all the port forwarding from there.
albany
Grafter

You guys just saved me a lot of time - thanks

I'm also migrating from ntl to plusnet ADSL in a few days time (just got ADSL in my village) . Have been using a DLink 614+ wireless router with the (ethernet presented) ntl cable modem which works a treat.

Been looking at smoothwall wondering whether it'll allow me to use the free Binatone USB modem (and give me a caching web proxy and usage logs to boot). Now I know! Cry

I can probably get hold of an Alcatel "frog" USB modem. Does that work reasonably well with smoothie and plusnet or should I just splash out on the Xmodem as a direct replacement for ny cable modem (bearing in mind I was trying to save a bit of cash relative to the £25 monthly Wink subscription to ntl)?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The Binatone modem is USB and comes with drivers for Windows, Mac and Red Hat. I've not seen anyone use it with Smoothwall so I've no idea whether it would work, same with the Alcatel number. You might find you were better off with an Ethernet Router.