cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall Issue

N/A

Firewall Issue

Hello people,

Can anyone help me with an issue with my connection that has suddenly sprung up.

The symptoms are that I can connect ok (although it does take longer than it used to) and am able to surf etc for about 5 minutes at which point although the connection still seems to be open I lose all connectivity. If I disable the firewall and reconnect there are no problems (other than exposure to internet nasties)

I'm using win2k3, the windows firewall and an old school speedtouch usb modem. I've never had this problem before and don't think I changed any of the firewall or other settings. I believe I was MAXed about 2 or 3 weeks ago, so I don't know if that could be something to do with it. Everything was ok until yesterday morning when this started happening

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES
N/A

Firewall Issue

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear that your having some difficulties.

When you lose the connection, does the ADSL / Link light go out or flash on your modem.

When you say you are using Win 2k3, is it Windows 2003 Server or Small Business server your running?

Can you post your line stats to the board? Details on obtaining the stats from a Speedtouch modem can be found on kitz's site here
N/A

Firewall Issue

Hi pcsni,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Yep my os is windows 2003 enterprise edition (don't ask!).

No, the lights stay on - as I say it seems the connection is still available but all incoming and outgoing traffic is blocked.

Stats as reported by dr speedtouch are:

ReceiveAttenuation_dB: 34
ReceiveMargin_dB: 13
SendAttenuation_dB: 16
SendMargin_dB: 13

Cheers,

Nick
N/A

Firewall Issue

Hi Nick,

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Has the Speedtouch always been problematic with the Server or has it only recently started giving grief?

Can you paste an ipconfig /all to the thread both from when you are connected and when you lose connectivity.

Can I also confirm that this is Small Business Server Enterprise edition as opposed to just the Windows Server Edition.

I just want to rule out any hardware or config issues before going any further. Smiley

Bear with me. We'll get there in the end. Smiley
N/A

Firewall Issue

Bizarrely the problem has not reoccured. I've connected twice since yesterday evening and both times the connection has been fine. Amazing what a posting on the forum can do Wink

fyi, I'm using the full blooded windows 2003 server enterprise edition (courtesy of msdn subscription) and the speedtouch has been rock solid these last 4 or 5 years. I'm thinking of investing in a wifi router/modem in the near future though.

If things take on the shape of a pear again I'll post the ipconfig data up here but for the moment thanks for your help.
N/A

Firewall Issue

No worries Nick. Glad its working.

it would be good to get to the bottom of it, if it reoccurs.

Hopefully that wont happen. Smiley