Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding it impossible to play online with PlusNet ADSL

N/A

Finding it impossible to play online with PlusNet ADSL

Hi,

As there's no 'gaming on ADSL' page, forgive my ranting here:

Since being activated Mon 4th Nov, I have enjoyed reasonable connection to Plus Net's ADSL, dl speeds good, webpage access acceptable.

However, any and all gaming will not work. I have tried all of the following:
Counterstrike
Day of Defeat
Q3A
Jedi Knight II
Diablo II

Appreciate that CS & DoD are basically the same exceutabel, as with Q3A & JKII, but even so, I should not be getting a computer that either hangs or throws me out of each & every server with messages about packet error or CL_parse error or some such.

Diablo II does work, for a variable time (up to 15 mins sometimes) and then my connection is mysteriously 'interrupted'.

Having raised a ticket, and mindful of the ADSL packet loss issues this week, I was frustrated but willing to wait for a fix.

Well, unsurprisingly, tonight has been *no different*. Same errors, same frustration.

I've raised another ticket, which will doubtless be fobbed off, as was the last one.

Worth knowing that I've played these same games on the same hardware on BT Broadband, back when I had it, and have tonight connected on my old dial up, just to prove that it's not the games themselves. CS ran quite happily.

So, does anyone have any ideas, suggestions etc. If there's some particular network setting that PlusNet seems to need, please let me know about it, or I'll have to go elsewhere...
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Finding it impossible to play online with PlusNet ADSL

Hi,
I play CS a LOT and i have to say that my pings have been excellent. Also all my games have ran fine and not crashed.

However, i have been getting REALLY slow download speeds. (look at my previous post)
Even after this "upgrade" my speeds havent really improved.

Im going to give it two days and then im off to Freeserve who can provide a better service. My friend has them and he gets constant 58KB/sec downlaod, 30KB/sec upload.

Dave Allan
N/A

Thx for the response - I fear there's something with my settings that is causing the problems. I went with self-install, as I already had the BT Voyager modem, and basically configured as per the set up guidelines on PlusNet's pages.

On BT BB I had 2 PC's sharing the connection just as happily, so unless there's some hangover from my internet connection sharing config, I can't see what's really changed.

Can you share any notes on your setup that may help? Also, know of any network config diagnostic tools so that I can supply same to PlusNet, or post on here?

Thanks again.

N/A

Cl_parse errors on JK II were due to a bug in the game itself - if you check out the JKII forums they may be able to answer some questions. It is not ISP related, inititally the problem was blamed on people using the no cd crack, but other users were experiencing the same problem.

Since both JKII and Quake 3 use the same engine, this could be a reason for teh problem on both.
N/A

How do you play games on here m8?
i have never tried it before.

What is the server address and port
--
Jason
=====
jlpappin
Grafter

Counter Strike works fine for me. Do you have a firewall? If I run my firewall, Tiberian Sun goes realy slow. Also Unreal Tournament used to go mad when I used my firewall when I was with One.Tel though I haven't used it since I came to PlusNet.
jlpappin
Grafter

Also Jason Dolon, you need to own the game before you can play online. When you install it, you will see internet play available. If you buy Half Life (for a tenner), you can get the CS mod for free or download the latest one. You can't use pirated versions though because the serial numbers get locked out.