cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding current line speed

Grff
Grafter

As i've only got a Zoom USB modem which doesn't tell me the speed of the line only the speed of the connection, if I was to do the bt speedtest (i.e. connect using their login test account) would this tell me if me line is already sorted for 2mb and if plusnet are throttleing it. (i.e. my modem, and windows xp, would tell me the connection speed).

Hope this is clear enough,

Cheers

Griff
5 REPLIES
N/A

Your modem should tell you the speed it is synching at. If it was connected at 2mb it would report 2272kbps. If that were the case and you were not attaining those speeds then it would be possible that Plus net would be throttling you.

If your modem shows anything other than that then you have not been upgraded.
Grff
Grafter

I think I follow you

I thought that if plusnet were throttling the line, then that's what the modem would show, the 512 speed.

You mean that if plusnet were actually throttling me but the line was enabled for 2mb then the modem would see, and display somewhere, 2mb?
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, your modem shows the speed the line is synching at - eg 512k, or 2Mb.

This is nothing to do with the actual speed of the downloads which you can determine by doing the speedtests. If your modem is showing 512k, then you've not been upgraded.
If it's showing 2Mb and your speed test shows 512k, then Pn are throttling the line,w hich can be cured by a quick call to CS.
Grff
Grafter

Where does the windows xp connection figure come from when you make a connection (I use it as dial-up as and when instead of always on ). The one that appears in the tool tip type bubble in the system tray area? From the connection to the ISP i'd imagine, hence it saying 576 everytime.
N/A

your modem picks up its speed from the connection to the exchange and therefore the speed at which your line is enabled. The ISP has no influence over synch.