cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtered faceplate and the ring wire

p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Having recently moved into a (Victorian) new house I spent half an hour this morning trying to optimise the wiring for broadband. Although I wanted to get the best out of the line, I wanted to ensure I didn't break anything for future lodgers/occupants/tenants.

I purchased two slave filtered faceplates from Maplin and installed them onto the extensions- resulting in a massive gain in SNR and about 1000kbps increase in sync speed.

Installing an ADSL-Nation filtered faceplate on the master socket again increased the SNR and sync speed slightly- leaving me with a sync speed of 7648kbps, SNR of 6.4dB and downstream attenuation of 32dB.

I left the extension wiring unfiltered as I want there to be the option of using them for broadband in future- with the filtered slave faceplates I had installed preventing devices interfering with ADSL signals in the mean time.

The extensions do however run along the outside walls of the house before disappearing back into their rooms, so are ideal candidates for receiving stray EM signals and causing attenuation.

Contemplating how I might squeeze the last bit of bandwidth out of the line, I decided the ring wire had to go, but again didn't want to break anything for people in the future. Reasoning that the ring wire is not required for ADSL, I put this on the filtered output of the ADSL-Nation faceplate, leaving the other two wires unfiltered. This, I felt, should allow the phones on the extensions to use the ring wire if needed, whilst filtering any noise from the broadband.

Contary to these expectations I ended up with an SNR of 5.5 and sync speed of around 6500kbps, undoing all the earlier work.

Clearly the answer is to switch the ring-wire back to an unfiltered output, but can anyone suggest any reason this problem might have arisen or any other ways of dealing with it.
5 REPLIES
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I would be very happy with both sets of speeds reported!!!

Only terminals 2 and 5 need to be connected. Others have also reported removing ring wire (terminal 3) will help. It has to be removed from each end of the wiring run otherwise it may act as an ariel. The ring wire is not necessary for ADSL or telephones. It is still connected just in case people have very old telephones that require it but any phone you get now will not need a ring wire.

Some people say using a CAT 5 cable to go from your master socket directly to your PC may improve signal loss. Never tried it myself.

See here as well..

Useful explanation -
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bandwidth.htm

Guides -
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

I'm certainly not moaning about the speed- although it'd have been rather satisfying to have optimised wiring to the point of getting the maximum possible.

I was hoping to create a fool-proof setup that meant whatever equipment someone plugs in in the future it will work. I had thought I was being really clever by connecting the ring wire to the filtered output whilst leaving the connectors 2 and 5 unfiltered so that ADSL can be used on the extensions as well.

For some reason that was worse than having the ring wire connected to the unfiltered terminals.

I'll try removing it altogether and just hope I remember to put it back if and when I sell up and move on.
Community Veteran

Go for all out removal, I have Cheesy
And it worked great for me, in may case it made the line much more stable.

Chilly
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Update on this.

Removing the ring wire, rather strangely, dropped the sync speed down to around 6000kbps. This was with the ring wire only removed from the master socket, and also with it removed from both the master and the slave (filtered faceplate) extensions. The SNR was slightly below 6db.

Re-installing the ring wire on the unfiltered connection of the ADSL nation faceplate led to a sync speed of 7648kbps with a SNR slightly above 6db. I can't really explain this except to say that the extension wiring has two orange and white wires, which probably form a twisted pair and help to cancel out each other's signals.

If anyone knows any better I'd be pleased to hear it.
oliverb
Grafter

Personally I'd swear by having one central filter, and possibly a dedicated DSL extension using a RJ11 or RJ45 socket. Its pretty self-evident what's going on then.