cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Sharing seem to cause problems for my router

N/A

Hi all

I have a Netgear DG814 router and have 3 pcs, all running xp connected. Ever since I bought the router I have been having problems with the random disconections or the router locking up, so I decided to try and resolve it this weekend.

First I tried changing the firmware, this didnt help. Then I tried shutting down all of the file share programs running on the 3 pcs and I havent had a problem in two days.

The file share programs running were

Emule and DC++

Has any one else ran into this problem
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What firmware did you try? 4.9 is the latest I am aware of and it needs a reset the factory default and tehen setup again to work properly.

Have you set the idle timeout on the router to 0?
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

I had the same problems with my router, buy mines a Solwise SAR110. The problem was that the router can only handle 500 connection. P2P programmes like to open a large number of connections- source finding etc.

The way I fixed it was to limit the max connection my P2P (emule) opens.

Also I change some IP connection settings on the router. - Close_wait time outs etc.

I'm not sure on the setting for your make of router but may be someone who has one could help more.

Phil
N/A

Thanks for that guys. I upgraded the firmware on the router and reset it and seems to be fine but think that the morrisinc may be right. Emule does tend to open tons fo connections. What did you set your time out setting to ?
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Here are my setting from my Solwise SAR110

NAT Global Information
TCP Idle Timeout(sec): 600
TCP Close Wait(sec): 5
TCP Def Timeout(sec): 20
UDP Timeout(sec): 20
ICMP Timeout(sec): 20
GRE Timeout(sec): 10
Default Nat Age(sec): 100
Community Veteran

The DG814 can't do any of that. It only has very basic config options and no proper firewall, just standard NAT.