Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster speeds mean changing usage patterns

Stef
Grafter

Just some thoughts/observations...

Over the weekend I updated some of my home systems (Re-installing Windows, that sort of thing). I actually did some downloading (!!!) and watched with curiosity how the download rates were set differently for each HTTP: download (Usually fast, sometimes medium, now and again: slow) - once the speed was set it seemed pretty consistant for the duration of the download - Pretty clever traffic management software you have there imo!

I also made use of the 2MB as follows...

I was reinstalling Office and had three service packs + updates to install which is a faff so I thought: "Why not let Windows update do the whole thing for me..." So I did, problem solved with less hassle for me.

If I had still been on 500K I would not have done it this way...

(I have 2MB home surf at home)
2 REPLIES
N/A

Changing usage patterns is right.

How many dial-up users have Windows auto updates switched on? That was the first thing I did when I got my 512K service, and was overjoyed when I got it. Sure, it took a few days to get everything bang up to scratch, but it was worth it. And now, 512K not enough for updates...

There is some truth in the "build more roads get more traffic" theory.
N/A

The main difference here is images.

Probably 90% of my internet use is for family history purposes. There is an awful lot of stuff online these days - mostly census returns, but also some relevant wills, directories etc. The actual pages can be about 1 MB each, so on dial-up I used to just note the references and look up the originals (usually on microfilm) on my next visit to the appropriate record office. Nowadays, I download all the images so that I can spend my limited record office time on the things that are *not* on the internet. Smiley