cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster broadband - what would/do you use it for?

N/A

I'm always game for a faster connection for less money etc however I wonder exactly what people use their fat pipes for?

I do use P2P stuff quite a lot as well as haing a couple of VPN tunnels that generate a fair bit of traffic however, from reading through other posts in these forums I see people complaining that Britain is in effect a third-world country in terms of ADSL speed and that people in Holland have 100Mb lines (I've never heard of these, I have heard of places around the world that have greater than 8Mb though) and that BT is failing us as a nation to sort out it's infrastructure unbundling at sensible prices to encourage LLU with ISPs to allow faster speeds to be passed on to real customers..

I recently regraded to 1Mb because I wanted the stuff I was getting at 512k faster. This is great because it allows a fast download of a file when you want it. It's convenience more than anything but when you consider that broadband was, as far as I am aware, designed to be high speed access for streaming essentially stuff like TV into homes (hence the low upspeed) and we all know this is struggling to get off the ground, mainly because the down speeds aren't fast enough - I'm left wondering, what are people using their connections for that require such fat pipes. In particular if you take into consideration that even though there is no physical cap on the amount of data the premier customers are allowed to transfer we all know that if we exceed a certain amount (I believe around 150Gb+ over three months average) then you could face being moved on to a bad boy pipe,

Cheers,
9 REPLIES
N/A

As a gamer i which connections would improve i am sick of lag and not being able to host huge games. For domestic use ie downloads i dont really download that much so i guess 8mb upwards is a lot of connection just spare. But then again if you have a home network going its good
N/A

Thanks for your reply.

Does the increase in the pipe speed help that much when u get over something like a 1Mb pipe? I thought it was more important to have low pings to the game servers than having a big pipe.

Just out of interest, what sorts of games are there that require >100k/ps?
N/A

Not quite sure which games require 100kbps. But having huge speeds will certaily make me a lot happy as a gamer
N/A

Just been thinking about it and I couldn't think of what game would need that speed either however, what I did think of is when people, such as Steam, release games on the web it means that you'll be able to download the game faster and this won't necessarily mean excessive use of a quick pipe.

I spose the same goes for game mods etc but it'd be great if others could comment on what they'd use or do use the fattest of fat pipes for.
N/A

Well i think it would be like having a fast car, for every day use it would be fine and the powers there when ever you need it.
the_norris
Grafter

simonsgaff

This sounds like what Eclipse Internet do with there Flex products. Pay for 512K service then via their portal tempary increase to 1Mb (at extra cost)- so you get that file quicker.

So all ISP will be about to do this, under BT''s upgrated plans. All line will be sync at the fastest they can support and the ISP will limit the speed at there end. I hope PlusNet thing about doing something like this.

Phil
N/A

Gaming here also, would like to get my pings even lower, still at the moment my ping can hit 50 for a UK server, yet others with half my speed can get pings of 20 or less, granted they are closer to the host, just would be nice, and yes all the mods... Forgotten Hope for example total of nearly 2gb download!!, would be nice to download it in say 15 mins after its release rather than a hour and a half!
N/A

Data transfer of large files -- over 4 gig .. a 100mbit line would make this a few mins not hours.

Upload speeds would be nice as well as you can update your sites and send a file to other areas faster. Speaking from some one who has a home run company and needs to send large amounts of files every day faster lines would mean a lot more efficiancy
N/A

Well, I would use my new upgraded 1mb connection if I could. But unforunatly it disconnects every 15 minutes :?