cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Kazaa Speeds

michaelscott
Grafter

Fast Kazaa Speeds

I just got 78KBps from Kazaa until a user dropped out. I'm on a 512kb connecion so that speed was a lot higher than I should be able to achieve. I was wondering if it was possible to sustain such speeds?

Once, on 56k, I got 250KBps and downloaded a 2Mb file in seconds!
28 REPLIES
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

All I can say is WOW!

You are aware of the spyware in Kazaa, right? I assume you are and don't mind, but come on now -- use Kazaa Lite at least!

I used to be a Kazaa Lite user but I switched to SoulSeek, which I totally underestimated before but after getting used to it I realize it's oustanding. Way better than Kazaa / Lite. No multi source downloads in SLSK though, which is a great feature of K - Lite.
michaelscott
Grafter

Fast Kazaa Speeds

I do use Kazaa Lite Tongue
N/A

Re: Fast Kazaa Speeds

I just got 78KBps from Kazaa until a user dropped out. I'm on a 512kb connecion so that speed was a lot higher than I should be able to achieve. I was wondering if it was possible to sustain such speeds?

Once, on 56k, I got 250KBps and downloaded a 2Mb file in seconds!

That's impossible.

It could be that the filesize was higher than it actually was, so it thought it had downloaded more than it had.

There's no way you can download a 2MB file in seconds on 56k.
michaelscott
Grafter

Fast Kazaa Speeds

it happened
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

I belive you, I've had completely freak things happen via a 56k modem, including crazy speed readings on Kazaa (Lite) just for a minute. Download Accelerator Plus too -- if you're downloading a file then pause it for a minute, then resume again, the speed reading goes nuts. I've had readings of 800+ kbps on certain files and a huge chunk of the the file was downloaded. Bizarre. I don't know why these freak incidents occur, but it's nice when they do!
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

I do use Kazaa Lite Tongue

Good lad!
Community Veteran

Fast Kazaa Speeds

With a 56k bit modem the TOP speed you can ever achieve is a little less than the 56k due to the necessary handshaking between your modem and the server and will NEVER actually achieve the 56K bit.

56 k bit means 7kB Bytes (1 byte is 8 bits) so downloading a 2 mB file (2 mega bytes) would take in excess of 285 seconds or over 4 Hrs.

Downloading 2mB in second on a 56k is IMPOSSIBLE.
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

When you pause a download it sometimes still carries on in the backround for a bit and stored to cache.
When you resume your pc downloads from cache, aswell
as from the server and you therefore see such high
speeds until the cache is empty and speeds average out.
Your p2p programme may have downloaded most of the file
already in the background, it sometimes happens.
If you try and download something from Plusnets file vault,
( it always seems to work with Norton Antivirus on my pc)
it will probably start downloading at around 50KB/S.
If you then cancel the download and restart again maybe
a couple of times, it should then start downloading at around
300KB/s Smiley
Unfortunately most of the speed will be coming from your pc,
it will then start to slow down gradually over a few minutes until
the speed comes back down to normal. Sad
That or BT have accidently allocated you a couple of
high speed lines by accident, for a few minutes Lol.
Alec
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

We all know (well some people don't) that it probably is impossible to download anything above the speed the hardware is capable of downloading, but your explanation (about how when paused, it carries on in the background) explains it.

I always wondered why it happens... it's just funny to get speed readings of 800+ kbps for a second via 56k!

michaelscott
Grafter

Fast Kazaa Speeds

my download was over http, not kazaa. it had not been paused. it took a matter of seconds from clicking save to it being downloaded.

i had screenshots of other unusually fast downloads over 56k. i sent them to a m8 and i'll try and get them back. they're not as impressive as 250KBps, tho - that only ever happened once.

incidentally, i know other people who have had freak downloads. i care not that you say it is impossible, i know that it happened.
Community Veteran

Fast Kazaa Speeds

The only way that can happen is if the file had previously been downloaded and it was already in your internet cache, most browsers will extract the file from the cache rather than downloading it again.

It IS physically and electrically impossible to download faster than 56K on a 56K modem, no matter what you are seeing or what transfer speed is being reported it was not downloaded through the modem when you clicked to download the file.

The file in cache is the only explaination for what you are seeing.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

With a 56k bit modem the TOP speed you can ever achieve is a little less than the 56k due to the necessary handshaking between your modem and the server and will NEVER actually achieve the 56K bit.

56 k bit means 7kB Bytes (1 byte is 8 bits) so downloading a 2 mB file (2 mega bytes) would take in excess of 285 seconds or over 4 Hrs.

Downloading 2mB in second on a 56k is IMPOSSIBLE.

Without wanting to argue with a "mod" god forbid!

Your actualy wrong Tongue

A 56K modem uses compression, therefore a 2Mb file just full of spaces, would be downloaded almost instantly with a 56K, as the file would be compressed to next to nothing..

Unlike an ADSL line, that does not use compression and therefore would need to actually download the full 2Mb.

I had some test files linked on a different PC to actually show this .. I'll dig up out for you to test if ya still don't believe me..

Tam
N/A

Fast Kazaa Speeds

i have had 26kbytes/sec on a 56k modem, not paused and using flashget so no internet cache...happened a few times when i was downloading from the same server
michaelscott
Grafter

Fast Kazaa Speeds

peter, it wasn't cached - i downloaded the file for the first time. i downloaded it a second time and got my average 4.5KBps.

tam, what your suggesting would be dependent on whether the file was already compressed or not. a modem applying its compression to a zip file would not make it any smaller. i was downloading an exe so i would presume it was in some way compressed - it was an installer for a screensaver.