cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic speeds at last by the do it yourself method

kryten1st
Grafter

After two years of being told my line will only support 1 meg am now running at, hang on I'll re-check "6541 kbps" and have just downloaded a file at 750KB/s I can't remember how many phone calls to BT and others about my broadband speed over this time period all to no avail, no one was interested so for over a year have been running at 1 meg when I could have had 2 meg. The problem all along was a little box on the wall next to my main BT socket called an RF-filter this has been filtering most of my broadband signal all this time, with it connected my attenuation was 61db and my connection speed was 1500 without it my attenuation is 29db and my connection speed is 8069, why on earth anyone at BT didn't mention this as a possibility I find incredible. If you have terrible attenuation and connection figures check to see if you have this filter, on the back it has printed BT80B-RF2 44/99 and if so have it removed, (mine fell off on it's own Wink ) get a large hammer and pound the sucker to dust :twisted:
33 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Great to hear of your success! Smiley

I imagine this RF filter problem is a rare thing, but who knows. :?

It would be great if anyone else here suffering (even just one person), found a resolution via your info!

Love your removal solution btw. :lol:
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Result!!!!
Community Veteran

Sometimes, sheer brute force and blooming ignorance is the best method Wink
decomplexity
Rising Star

No - RF filters are not that rare - my daughter had exactly that problem when she first ordered broadband. Since there was no synch whatever, the solution either had to be in the exchange or ...in a little unnecessary black box by the front door.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
kryten1st
Grafter

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm still a very happy bunny Cheesy . My problem now is I'm worried it will be taken away again so am obsessed with checking my speeds all the time :lol:
I asked BT loads of times if I could speak to an engineer, but was always told engineers were not available to speak to customers, I'm sure a BT engineer would have known this filter was a possibilty. Anyway keeping everything crossed and credit to PN for a quick response when I raised a ticket about my very good connection figures only giving me 1 meg. I really hope too this will help people who are in the same situation as I was, with this awfull filter but don't know it yet.
kryten1st
Grafter

Just in case anyone wants to see what this filter looks like I have put up a quick web page here with a few pics of this broadband killer.

Have now removed the pics, so not available anymore sorry.
N/A

I disconnected the RF filter on my phoneline.

I have to say it didn't make that much difference.

However my router is plugged into a spur not the master socket.

I took the advice on this site http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html and disconnected the bell wire.

Sync speed went up from 1 meg to 3 megs.

Just got to wait for the system to catch up then perhaps my speed will increase.
kryten1st
Grafter

I took the advice on this site http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_yarwell_archive.html and disconnected the bell wire.

Thanks cerberos I have seen this website before, believe me I think I've looked at hundreds in trying to find a reason for the poor connection speeds I was getting. I thought this ring wire could have been the problem too but I only have two wires connected to my BT socket anyway so don't have this extra ring wire to disconnect.
ady
Grafter

hmm does every house have this RF filter ? i cant seem to see one Cheesy

where abouts would it be
Community Veteran

No its only fitted in situations where there is a danger of powerful radio transmitters interfearing with the phone.
So not that many about.
N/A

We had an RF filter fitted to try and reduce burst of noise on the phone line.

Just over a mille as the crow flies is Holme Moss, the main FM transmitter (Radio 2 etc) for the north of England.

Just a little further away in plain line of site is Emeley Moor the regions major TV transmitter.

Two hill tops away is Moorside Edge the BBC's main AM transmitter for the North.

Surrounded on 3 sides by very powerful RF sources. Probably why I had a filter.
kryten1st
Grafter

hmm does every house have this RF filter ? i cant seem to see one Cheesy

where abouts would it be

The filter was on the wall next to my main BT socket in the house, as the wiring has to go through this filter first then into the main socket, so must have to be next to it or close anyway. But I'm no expert so could be outside or anywhere. But the one that fell off my wall was definitely not made for being outside, as you can tell from the pictures. here

Two hill tops away is Moorside Edge the BBC's main AM transmitter for the North.

Seems like we live near to each other cerberos as I live under this transmitter I can see them from my window. I have heard there is an RF-3 type filter which is supposed to be better for broadband, maybe yours is this type. Have a look here I think this is why I had the filter.
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/moorsideedgetx.html
kryten1st
Grafter

I knew it was too good to last Have had no broadband all day but so has most people in the village, including all ISP's not just PN so not their fault. But got connected again tonight and have lost half my speed Sad , I did have a solid 6 to 6.5meg connection now down to 2.5 to 3 hopefully this will go back up I hope.
N/A

Seems like we live near to each other cerberos as I live under this transmitter I can see them from my window. I have heard there is an RF-3 type filter which is supposed to be better for broadband, maybe yours is this type. Have a look here I think this is why I had the filter.
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/moorsideedgetx.html

What is worse, once upon a time, in a different life, I used to work there.