cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to install ADSL drivers

N/A

Failure to install ADSL drivers

I have received my ADSL hardware: A220 PCI internal modem.

I have followed the supplied ADSL PCI Modem Guide to the letter, i.e. installed the Modem, cancelled the Add New Hardware Wizard, inserted the CD and run the Set-up Wizard.

I was then prompted to restart my computer. The start-up halts with the following message:

"While initializing device IOS:
Erro: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt,
or the system is low on memory."

There is a fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108 but don't think it will help as it won't include the ADSL drivers.

I then have to reboot the computer which prompts me to continue in Safe Mode, this is successful, but all I can do is to run the ADSL PCI Modem Wizard to uninstall the ADSL Device (drivers).

My PC has 384MB of RAM.

I can then restart the computer in Normal Mode but have to cancel the Add New Hardware Wizard.
--
Jeremy Goff
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Failure to install ADSL drivers

what os you using

> I have received my ADSL hardware: A220 PCI internal modem.
>
> I have followed the supplied ADSL PCI Modem Guide to the letter, i.e. installed the Modem, cancelled the Add New Hardware Wizard, inserted the CD and run the Set-up Wizard.
>
> I was then prompted to restart my computer. The start-up halts with the following message:
>
> "While initializing device IOS:
> Erro: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
> Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt,
> or the system is low on memory."
>
> There is a fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108 but don't think it will help as it won't include the ADSL drivers.
>
> I then have to reboot the computer which prompts me to continue in Safe Mode, this is successful, but all I can do is to run the ADSL PCI Modem Wizard to uninstall the ADSL Device (drivers).
>
> My PC has 384MB of RAM.
>
> I can then restart the computer in Normal Mode but have to cancel the Add New Hardware Wizard.
>
> --
> Jeremy Goff

N/A

I would ignore the advice to run setup and unistall all the drivers remove the card boot the pc to clear it. Put the card back in and let detect new hardware wizard have a go. Point it to the cd for drivers.

The problem occurs because it loads 3 devices and if it doesnt complete one it cant load the next. The software seems to have a timing issue were it trys to load to fast before the first driver has installed

> I have received my ADSL hardware: A220 PCI internal modem.
>
> I have followed the supplied ADSL PCI Modem Guide to the letter, i.e. installed the Modem, cancelled the Add New Hardware Wizard, inserted the CD and run the Set-up Wizard.
>
> I was then prompted to restart my computer. The start-up halts with the following message:
>
> "While initializing device IOS:
> Erro: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
> Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt,
> or the system is low on memory."
>
> There is a fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108 but don't think it will help as it won't include the ADSL drivers.
>
> I then have to reboot the computer which prompts me to continue in Safe Mode, this is successful, but all I can do is to run the ADSL PCI Modem Wizard to uninstall the ADSL Device (drivers).
>
> My PC has 384MB of RAM.
>
> I can then restart the computer in Normal Mode but have to cancel the Add New Hardware Wizard.
>
> --
> Jeremy Goff

N/A

Windows 98 SE

I have overcome the problem, please see later posting.

J

> what os you using
>
>
>
>
> > I have received my ADSL hardware: A220 PCI internal modem.
> >
> > I have followed the supplied ADSL PCI Modem Guide to the letter, i.e. installed the Modem, cancelled the Add New Hardware Wizard, inserted the CD and run the Set-up Wizard.
> >
> > I was then prompted to restart my computer. The start-up halts with the following message:
> >
> > "While initializing device IOS:
> > Erro: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
> > Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt,
> > or the system is low on memory."
> >
> > There is a fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108 but don't think it will help as it won't include the ADSL drivers.
> >
> > I then have to reboot the computer which prompts me to continue in Safe Mode, this is successful, but all I can do is to run the ADSL PCI Modem Wizard to uninstall the ADSL Device (drivers).
> >
> > My PC has 384MB of RAM.
> >
> > I can then restart the computer in Normal Mode but have to cancel the Add New Hardware Wizard.
> >
> > --
> > Jeremy Goff
>
>

N/A

> I would ignore the advice to run setup and unistall all the drivers remove the card boot the pc to clear it. Put the card back in and let detect new hardware wizard have a go. Point it to the cd for drivers.

I tried that and ended up with "unknown device" in drivers list. However, some of your advice was taken and the issue is resolved, see later posting.

>
> The problem occurs because it loads 3 devices and if it doesnt complete one it cant load the next. The software seems to have a timing issue were it trys to load to fast before the first driver has installed
>
>
> > I have received my ADSL hardware: A220 PCI internal modem.
> >
> > I have followed the supplied ADSL PCI Modem Guide to the letter, i.e. installed the Modem, cancelled the Add New Hardware Wizard, inserted the CD and run the Set-up Wizard.
> >
> > I was then prompted to restart my computer. The start-up halts with the following message:
> >
> > "While initializing device IOS:
> > Erro: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
> > Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt,
> > or the system is low on memory."
> >
> > There is a fix at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108 but don't think it will help as it won't include the ADSL drivers.
> >
> > I then have to reboot the computer which prompts me to continue in Safe Mode, this is successful, but all I can do is to run the ADSL PCI Modem Wizard to uninstall the ADSL Device (drivers).
> >
> > My PC has 384MB of RAM.
> >
> > I can then restart the computer in Normal Mode but have to cancel the Add New Hardware Wizard.
> >
> > --
> > Jeremy Goff
>
>

N/A

I wrestled with this problem for many hours, and can't believe it's a new issue. I do feel sorry for the average home user!

I went through the install drivers in Normal mode, reboot and fail, remove drivers in Safe mode, several times.

At each Normal mode start-up, I was cancelling the "add new hardware" option, as instructed in the installation notes.

I followed the steps listed in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311108 except that instead of "reinstalling Windows 98", I replaced the suspect \windows\system\iosubsys folder with a previously saved copy. I believe this was a red herring as both the previously saved version and the supposedly corrupt version had the same files and were the same size.

I then implemented the only advice received from PlusNet, i.e. install the PCI Modem in another slot. That didn’t seem to work either. However, I did at this stage notice that when the machine was rebooting, errors were reported about my soundcard (Creative SB Live), this of course is also a PCI card.

I then ran the PCI Modem Wizard again to uninstall everything and rebooted, then uninstalled the Creative SB Live software (including I presume drivers) and rebooted. Then installed the Creative SB Live software again and rebooted. All was OK at this stage and messages of success reported in the start sequence.

Next I inserted the Modem software CD and installed as prompted by the wizard and rebooted. Hallelujah, got past the IOS error, configured system and updated system settings, etc. and got the fanfare from my speakers. ADSL connection established!

What exactly was the problem I can’t say, hardware conflict, incomplete driver installation, software (driver) conflict, we may never know.

Now I just need to get my head round whenever I start a browser or email client, and probably other applications that access the internet, I get the windows dialup dialog every time. I want the connection to be negotiated whenever the machine is booted and be available to all applications.

--
Jerry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sounds like your modem and SB live are sharing a IRQ. Easiest way around it is moving the card in the physical slots or via the Bios and manually setting the IRQ.

NB PCI slot 1 shares with the AGP slot, so never put any high usage device in PCI slot 1, ie your SB live or modem in the nearest PCI slot to the AGP slot.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

> Sounds like your modem and SB live are sharing a IRQ. Easiest way around it is moving the card in the physical slots or via the Bios and manually setting the IRQ.
>
> NB PCI slot 1 shares with the AGP slot, so never put any high usage device in PCI slot 1, ie your SB live or modem in the nearest PCI slot to the AGP slot.

Thanks for that, as I said, I moved the modem to another slot and still had the problem. It was reintstalling the SB Live software with the modem moved that fixed it. Maybe I could move the modem but not now eh?

--
Jerry
N/A

Mmmmm how interesting...

Windows Dialup problem:
1)Go to Internet options
2)Click Connections
3)Click "Never Dial a connection"

Woopy twanggggg!!!

Cheers mate
--