cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed speed test - |Dumb question time.

gothstevek
Dabbler

This is my first post on these forums so be gentle with me! Wink

I've recently received notification from PN that:
Unfortunately your phone line was unable to support a faster speed than your existing service. This was confirmed after a series of line tests.

I decided to request a whoosh test to see if there is any chance of increasing my 512kb speed. The reply I received was:
Circuit In Sync
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 27 dB
Cell Count 53140350

Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 42 dB
Cell Count 520478291

Not being an expert I was wondering if anyone here can confirm if my ADSL speeds can be increased beyond the 512kb I'm currently on.

Any advice (short of moving home) would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Steve
8 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

It's downstream that counts, and the upper limit attenuation (loop loss) for 2Mb is 43 db, so you're within that.

Ask them for the whoosh test that gives SNR as well. This needs to be over 10db downstream.

If it is, ring them up and explain that you're within the 2Mb limits and you'd like an upgrade.
gothstevek
Dabbler

Ask them for the whoosh test that gives SNR as well. This needs to be over 10db downstream.

Thanks... I would've thought the whoosh test would include the SNR too! Oh well I'll raise another ticket - hopefully support won't be too miffed with me!
Alecto
Grafter

Seems there's two kinds of whoosh tests, according to what I read on one of Peter's posts. One with SNR and one without.

Why they don't just do the one with SNR in as well is beyond me. :roll:
vic_newey
Grafter

The line test in question is totally automatic & simply takes into account previous records for your line which may date back 10 years.
I was instantly turned down for 1 meg but +net put in a manual request which provided me with 1 meg without problems . I recently got turned down for 2 meg in the same way altho I am sure my line will support 2 meg as my downstream noise is currently 15 & attenuation 31 . I will now await my exchange upgrade in July & see what happens.
N/A

There are indeed two versions of Woosh. Woosh requires training and BT are reluctant to give out Woosh access.

As for a SNR of 10db. This should be a minimum for your current speed, and not to be used to form an opinion about an upgrade.

At 10dB, you would certainly see BT reject an upgrade. You should be hoping for the high teens if not higher.
gothstevek
Dabbler

Seems there's two kinds of whoosh tests, according to what I read on one of Peter's posts. One with SNR and one without.

Why they don't just do the one with SNR in as well is beyond me. :roll:

I had a reply from PN informing me they don't include SNR in their whoosh test. I find it interesting that members of the forum are aware of the second kind of test, but the SC chap who replied to me wasn't. *sigh!*
gothstevek
Dabbler

I was instantly turned down for 1 meg but +net put in a manual request which provided me with 1 meg without problems .

I'm not sure whether to give PN support a call and discuss this with them, I don't want to waste anyone's time any further if the best I can get is 512kb. Although it would be nice to get the best I can from my connection.
N/A

Incidentally, what's the difference between this 'Woosh' test, and the stats I get on my router?

My router's 'ADSL status', for example, reports:

Downstream | Upstream
SNR Margin 35.2 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 42.4 27.0 dB