cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed due to 55.6db attenuation - retest?

Lorian
Grafter

Failed due to 55.6db attenuation - retest?

Dear everyone,

Ooooh Noooo.

I got a failure "Line loss out of limits" with 55.6db. so close!

This was a conversion order from HH to ADSL.

According to BT engineer test the line is 2.54Km (Although I reckon it has to be closer to 4km following the telegraph poles)

So what should I do:

1. Wait (impatiently) until the end of june when the limit goes up to 60db? (not if I can help it)

2. Remove my DECT Telephone and ask Plus to get a retest (would you do that for me plus, might it do the trick?)

3. Disconnect my Home Highway NTE9 and ask plus to get a retest?

4. Get BT to install a new PSTN line on condition it will work with ADSL and get plus to install ADSL on that then move my number etc? would cost me £75 I think.

Thanks for any advice,

Jc.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Failed due to 55.6db attenuation - retest?

BT will have basically removed the ISDN line fully at the exchange cards to test it. Therefore the DECT phone and ISDN equipment will have no effect.

Looks like the only option for you is to wait until June Sad

Chris
Lorian
Grafter

> BT will have basically removed the ISDN line fully at the exchange cards to test it. Therefore the DECT phone and ISDN equipment will have no effect.
>
> Looks like the only option for you is to wait until June Sad
>
> Chris

Or presumable get BT to install a new PSTN line and hope its better?

Lorian
Grafter

> BT will have basically removed the ISDN line fully at the exchange cards to test it. Therefore the DECT phone and ISDN equipment will have no effect.
>
> Looks like the only option for you is to wait until June Sad
>
> Chris

Chris,

I knew I'd seen this somewhere, please take a look at this link: http://tinyurl.com/90in

Someone in the same situation as me, and a guy from plusnet support (Mike Grice) said:

"DECT is the culprit of many rejected orders - they add noise to your line which adds to the chance of you not passing the test"

and

"I would personally get back to us and ask for a retest. If possible, leave the DECT phone(s) unplugged for a couple of days while the tests are done, as you will come back with a better noise reading."

So *is* it worth trying a retest with my DECT phone and digibox (also remoured to cause problems) disconnected?

Sorry If I'm sounding desperate.

Jc.
Community Veteran

It could be for a normal PSTN line but not on ISDN. When BT test it to see if ADSL is possible they remove the line from the ISDN DSS systems at the exchange and basically plug it into the test equipment. This would mean your ISDN and it's PSTN services are offline whist the test takes place.

You can always try to get them to retest, it will certainly cause no harm and it doesn't cost anything. But in either case the conditions could be better or worse a second time round due. Seeing as you are so close to the limits it may well pass next time.

Chris
Lorian
Grafter

> You can always try to get them to retest, it will certainly cause no harm and it doesn't cost anything. But in either case the conditions could be better or worse a second time round due. Seeing as you are so close to the limits it may well pass next time.

Chris, Well I'd like to try again, its so very close.

I think the conversion order has to be re-submitted for the test to be done again? And this is something Plusnet will need to do for me - can you request this or do I need to do something else /talk to someone else to get this done?

Thanks,

Peter.
Community Veteran

> I think the conversion order has to be re-submitted for the test to be done again? And this is something Plusnet will need to do for me - can you request this or do I need to do something else /talk to someone else to get this done?

Talk to PlusNet in Contact Us, I don't work for them!

Chris
Lorian
Grafter

> > I think the conversion order has to be re-submitted for the test to be done again? And this is something Plusnet will need to do for me - can you request this or do I need to do something else /talk to someone else to get this done?
>
> Talk to PlusNet in Contact Us, I don't work for them!
>
> Chris

My eyesight is bad this time of night!

Jc.

N/A

> My eyesight is bad this time of night!

Cheesy I know how you feel!!

Let's hope we get you up and running the next time round...

Mike

--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
Lorian
Grafter

> > My eyesight is bad this time of night!
>
> Cheesy I know how you feel!!
>
> Let's hope we get you up and running the next time round...
>
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

Mike, eyes are working again, the question I need answering is should I disconnect the DECT Phone and Digibox and get you to do a re-test? I know you have suggested to others this might help, but could it for me bearing in mind I currently have Home Highway?

Jc
Jc.