Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed connection - please help.

Ziggur
Grafter

Hi.

When I switched on my PC on Saturday morning I had no ADSL connection. Only a few hours earlier everything had been fine.

BT Voyager 205 router showed Power, ADSL, and Ethernet lights on and fixed (no blinking).

Reboot router. No change. No connection.

Subsequent boot-ups during the weekend produced the same results, 3 green lights but no connection. The router diagnostic tests showed as follows:

WAN Interface - ppp-o
Connected to computer - Pass
Sync with ADSL line - Pass
Connected to local ADSL exchange - Fail

Results for all other tested items showed a Fail

I assumed from the "local exchange" fail that the problem was with BT and got on with life until Monday. I contacted PlusNet Customer Service by telephone on Monday and was advised that, as the Sync light was on, the problem was with the router configuration.
The agent suggested that I should stick a pin in the reset hole, reboot the router, and all would (probably) be well. The result - 3 fixed lights, diagnostics the same, no connection.
The router was supplied by +Net when I joined in June 2005 (is it under guarantee?).

Dug out the old modem, set up a dial-up connection, and here I am asking for advice from some real experts. I have changed the filter - nothing. Plugged router phone cable direct into the BT master socket with and without a filter - nothing. I may have to raise a ticket and throw myself on the mercy of Customer Service again but before I do that I would very much appreciate any advice from some of the knowlegable folks in here.

Thanks in advance

Mike
7 REPLIES
Ziggur
Grafter

Any reasonable offer accepted Sad
N/A

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/router.troubleshooter.php

has a troubleshooting guide for your router. May help.
Ziggur
Grafter

Many thanks for your reply.

Already been there. Done that. Still no connection.

Mike
Community Veteran

Sounds like your ADSL is down fom the exchange.
Can you beg steal or borrow a modem or router from a friend or neighbour to prove it with?

If another modem / router wont connect then raise a Link:Contact us ticket and report it for PlusNet to contact BT and sort it.
Ziggur
Grafter

Thank you John.

I'll do as you suggest.

Mike
N/A

I'm having the same problems - so I logged a call & was advised that I should replace my router. So I went out & spend £80 on a wireless modem router, and tried again. Nothing, So I hooked it all up to my laptop, and tried again - nothing. So I told plusnet & they said it was a BT fault. Wait 3 days and all will be fine. Waited the 3 days, still nothing, so rang again. PN said that they would contact BT - wait another 3 days. So I've not been without my BB connection for 8 days, and still no joy from PN.

I've recommended loads of people to use PN, cos I believed they were the best. I work in IT and people trust what I recommend. I don't think I'll be recommending them any more.
Ziggur
Grafter

I am now on Day 13 without an ADSL connection.

My fault was referred to BT 7 days ago.

I am advised that they need to remake a "battery connection". :roll:

Mike