cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faceplate advice please

Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

I'm considering installing faceplate splitters/filters instead of plug-in ADSL filters on the phone extensions here, rather than replacing the front of the master socket which wouldn't really suit my set-up.

I've been using the little Solwise plug-in filters since 512kb days, with a different branded more expensive one for the router itself but that one has just started playing up (shooshing on the phone) and I've had to stop using it; I had spares of the little ones so that was OK.

ADSLnation and Solwise seem much of a muchness as regards pricing once I've added everything up, so I wondered what experience people here have had with their products. Thanks!

Moderators note by John (johnessex)Topic moved to the correct forum.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

ordered adslnation xte -2005 on Thursday night at about 8:30pm and it arrived Sat morning at 9am ruining my lie in.

I have to say personally I've not noticed any difference my line stats still vary with snr dipping to 4 or 5 I had hoped this would have fixed it but it dosn't appear to have done.

The reviews do say some people ahve had great reusults while others like me have not really had any change.

A
N/A

Faceplate advice please

If you install the faceplate filter on the master socket i believe that will filter the signals as soon as they enter the property and as such the extensions won't need filters (signals will already be filtered by master before sending to extension)... but please if I have this wrong somebody correct me.

And amcclean I also ordered one of those on saturday night (will probably come tomorrow morning) hoping that t will improve my stats.
Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

That's precisely the reason why fitting a faceplate to the master socket wouldn't suit me, as I have to run the router off one of the extensions, rather than the master socket!

I'm thinking of a completely filtered faceplate for one extension and a microfilter type for the other but will have to check the wiring on the extensions before I order anything anyway. Then I can either add a new phone-only socket next to the master socket or continue to use a microfilter in just that one.

My connection isn't improved by plugging into the back of the master socket, which means the extensions are 'good'.
Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

the faceplate has both filtered and non filtered fixings on the inside. This you could connect your extension directly to the filtered fixtures on the inside of the backplate and you would not need a seperate splitter.

I have a set of dect phones and my sky box on a two way coming out of my faceplate and my wireless on the adsl socket. The phones are cordless so I don't nedd the poor extension.

A
Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

Yes, I did think about that but I would then need to find out if the two extensions are on separate cables or not, which I think might be the case as there's a phone cable elsewhere in the house that's not attached to anything (installed by the builder for wiring a burglar alarm into the phone line, I think) which may be one of the two that are wired into the master socket as I can't see a third cable not wired in.

Whichever way I do it will mean two faceplates though; either the way already described , which will work whether both extensions run off the same cable or not, or a master faceplate and another microfilter type for phone and ADSL together if the two extensions have separate cables.

The advice I really want is as to which brand people have found to be better, Solwise or ADSLnation!
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Faceplate advice please

Looking at the 3 specs all seem to comply with latest BT specs.

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16159&cat=265&page=1

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

Price however may be a clue. The Solwise one seems too cheap so I would go for one of the others. FYI, I changed to a better quality splitter and found no difference but I felt better !!!
Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

Thanks, but I'm not thinking of replacing the splitters with the same but with faceplate filters. I was using a more expensive filter with the router but that has been the first to cause trouble! As MaxDSL is more sensitive to noise etc than my original 512 and later 2MB service, I think it's time to change to something more solid, so to speak.

One reason the prices for all the different sorts of faceplates vary seems to do with whether they (apart from the master socket version, of course, which is a similar price all round) come with back boxes or not and I won't need those for the two extensions. Over all, as I say, Solwise and ADSLnation seem pretty similar in price taking that and delivery charges into account, with Clarity and some others I looked at being a little more expensive for no obvious reason.
BoneMan
Grafter

Faceplate advice please

Hi,
For what it's worth, I fitted the Clarity faceplate ( http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=262&page=1 ) 4 years ago when I first got ADSL. I recently had to replace my modem/router but that filter is still going strong Smiley . Sometimes it is worth paying a little more for something that "just works" Wink . No, I am not an employee, just a satisfied customer Wink .

Regards,

Ray.
Community Veteran

Faceplate advice please

Thanks. I did wonder if the Clarity stuff might be better quality!

I'll look at their site again when I've inspected the wiring in the extensions and know exactly what's going on there, as I see Clarity have even more options than the other companies.
N/A

Faceplate advice please

Hi

Well worth doing.

Before fitting a new faceplate I would only get around 2.5mb sync

Since fitting I not get 5mb all the time. Well worth the £14.

Just a shame PlusNet can only provide 1mb download speeds!!