cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP problems with AG241

N/A

FTP problems with AG241

I have been using FileZilla and other FTP programs successfully for some time but have recently changed from a D-Link ADSL router to a Linksys AG241.

I am having real problems with FTP not only with FileZilla but with native FTP . I have manged to transfer some files; now without changing anything - in FileZilla or on the router I cannot transfer anything. All I get is retries and timeouts. It as if a capacity has been reached. These are small files 40 - 100 KB . if I try later I can again copy a file then I cannot. With the d-link I never had these issues but this router has many more settings.

I do get a directory listing when the programs start also I can change file properties or delete files but the files I transfer have a size of 0 bytes.

Can anyone help and point me to the necessary settings in my router.

I have disabled ZoneAlarm and am using W2000 (no operating system firewall). I have not set up the firewall in the router. Anyway I have Passive mode set in FILEZILLA

Thanks Allan
8 REPLIES
N/A

FTP problems with AG241

I have reverted to the d-link and as I suspected all is OK. So much for buying newer hardware. :roll:

I still would like to use the linksys modem for other reasons - so again if anyone can let me know the settings they use to connect to plusnet with other than d-link hardware it may help me solve the router problem.
N/A

FTP problems with AG241

I have been using the AG241 for many months without a hitch myself. I've not used filezilla myself so im not sure what that would need, but most programs its just a matter of mapping the ports the program needs.

If you are trying to run a server in passive mode, then you will have to open a port range on the router and specify that port range in the ftp server. Also it'll likely be necessary to specify the external ip. somewhere- I had to do the same when i ran serv-u.
N/A

FTP problems with AG241

Yes I had a little more time and tried the router again.

I have found that everything works if I turn off passive mode and switch off zonealarm. which backs up what you say.

you say ....
"Also it'll likely be necessary to specify the external ip. somewhere- I had to do the same when i ran serv-u."

Is this the ip of the platform I am ftp'ing to ? I have 3 that I use regularly or is it a generic FTP server - would appreaciate a dump of your router settings.

Thanks for the help
Allan
_lecro_
Grafter

FTP problems with AG241

i have nearly the same problem,i'm not running a server behind the router just trying to upload to my site.. transfer starts at around 7-8kbs then quickly drops to under 1.0kbs
firewall is off and firmware upgraded..any ideas
N/A

FTP problems with AG241

I gave in - it also started dropping ip's the DHCP seemed to be faulty. I bought a d-link 504T which just works "out of the box". FTP firewalls on etc. etc.

I returned the linksys to Amazon
_lecro_
Grafter

FTP problems with AG241

Finally got it working - passive mode off ,zonealarm still on
Strangly my mail client still cant access my plusnet mail,my hotmail,gmail and orange mail accounts are ok :roll:
N/A

FTP problems with AG241

I am having the same problem. I have tried turning off my s/w firewall and the one on the router, still no joy. Also tried using different FTP programs (CuteFTP, SmartFTP and Internet Explorer). Also tripple checked all p/w, usernames etc as well as making sure that the FTP port forwarding was activated on the router. Still cannot resolve this problem.

Also what is this passive mode you speak of?

PS I am trying to connect to my PN webspace
N/A

FTP problems with AG241

Managed to find passive mode setting and as mentioned has sorted out my problem. Thanks guys this post was a great help Cheesy