cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP problems to web space

N/A

If you just upload single files this problem won't probably effect you. It just involves batches of files.

Uploading to Plusnet web space always used to be slow often with the upload failing numerous times. After the upgrade everything seemed much better and faster but then I was only uploading single files.

Two weeks ago rougthly I decided to use software which came with my Weather station to ftp live dat to my web site. This consists of twelve files totaling 72kb in size. Not a lot. Also note on another machine.

I then noticed that the data wasn't getting uploading and the Weather stations software was recording non standard FTP error codes. I'm still waiting for Davis to respond to my query on these codes. Often I had to restart the software remotley to resume the uploads.

I've checked the firewall for errors and there isn't any. I disabled the virus checker and the same problem continued. I tried passive mode and still the problem continued.

I then decided to use my University web space to host the files and upload there instead. Viola no problems at all. Upload speeds quicker and no errors.

So the problem seams to be with Plusnets servers. It could also be a problem with my netgear DG834G router and Plusnet servers.

Has anyone else had a problem with their ftp space recently. Plusnet say there aren't any problems period.

I noticed the problem in the past with different FTP programms and on a different machine so that rules out the ftp programmes and the machine. I can't change the ftp programme for upload as it's built in.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What MTU value are you using in Windows and your router. Having these set incorrectly or mis-matched (different MTU is router and PC) can cause unexpected communication problems.

Try an MTU of 1478 and RWIN of 17256 for windows and an MTU of 1478 for the router and see if that works. If not, try lower MTU values; 1458 (RWIN 17016), 1430 (RWIN 16680) - RWIN is calculated as (MTU-40) * 12 but the 12 can be between 10 and 20.

Also see the MTU tweak thread for the Dr. TCP app to change windows MTU and RWIN values.
N/A

I doubt if it's the settings as the problem should also occur on the University servers.
Community Veteran

Not necessarily, I have had situations where mis-matched MTU values (i.e. between your router and Windows) have caused assess problems to some sites but not to others so don't dismiss this because your setup works to your university webspace.

Try it and see what happens.

Also have you tried powering your router off then on?
N/A

Had a play with a few settings and the speed test for download 118k and upload 30k. Not much different from before so we'll see what happens.
N/A

Ah well it did one upload successfully then on the next hung again half way through. Back to the Sheffield Servers.
N/A

Did some pinging of plusnet and anything above 1450 didn't get through.
Hopefully plusnet don't use variable mtu as BT used to do as this can vary a lot depending on load.
Community Veteran

Pings tend to only send 32 bytes of data so I can't see how an different MTU value would stop this. It could be your router of course.

I use an MTU of 1478 and I can ping plusnet fine, and I know using 1500 works as well.
N/A

You set the size of the packet with the -l switch.
N/A

Seems to work happily with an mtu of 1440. 1450 works 99% of the time.
Community Veteran

Have you set the router and Windows to be the same MTU value or just WIndows?

The way to determin the max MTU supported to a destination is to set both Windows and router to an MTU of 1500, reboot both devices then use an app called TCPoptimizer which has a tool which will do something similar to you and work out when packets get fragmented (i.e. when the packet size exceeds the max MTU supported) and thus determin the max MTU your connection supports. You can then set this MTU value in your router and Windows - with a corresponding RWIN value for windows as MTU-40 * 12.
N/A

I'm working off a two computer set up so I don't want to stuff the other computer as such.
Davis have been back to me and basically say the problems are with timeouts with plusnet. Thats direct from th error logs.
I concor as the upload has failed again as I type and thats with a mtu 1300 set on the machin eunless XP igonores MTU values.
I'm going to pass the information on from davis.
Plusnet have got a very bad rep with the University and what I'm seeing here bar the casual user I've got o agree.
N/A

Well Plusnet keep closing my tickets which is rather annoying so I given up.

Dos command FTP works fine without errors which is strange. As soon as I use the Weather station software timeouts occur although a lot less with an MTU of 1200.

I'll keep using the University servers as this works fine.