cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP disabled during peak time?

N/A

Why is it that I can not use FTP AT ALL during peak hours?

If I attempt to access an FTP server during peak hours it will hang until cancelled. I waited until midnight last night and right on the hour I attempted to connect and did so successfully.

Can somebody please offer an explanation for this?
32 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The following page should help you figure out why you are unable to FTP at peak times.

Traffic Management
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

From the link above I assume FTP falls in to "restricted" during peak hours; basically I will not be able to use FTP at all.

That's great! It's not like I have important work which my education depends on accessible via FTP ...

Sarcasm aside, I'll talk to the bill payer about how we can over-come this problem. I'm sure all ISPs can not be this ridiculous.
N/A

If your usage allows it, switch to PAYG. This traffic is not managed at all as users pay for all their usage - it's actually in PN's interest for you to download more.

Which product are you on at the moment, if you're on Broadband Plus that product really isn't suitable for what you're wishing to use it for.
N/A

Yes Broadband Plus I believe. I guess I'm a fairly heavy user but always stop P2P or other bandwidth-heavy activities during peak times.

I'll look in to PAYG but I doubt it would benefit me. I also doubt the bill payer will be keen on paying more than £15 a month.
Community Veteran

You can see your usage at this link.
You should be able to work out by looking at previous months usage wether or not PAYG would be more suitable for you.
Note: Peak time for PAYG is 08:00H to Midnight, where Plus+ and Premier are Peak time of 16:00H to Midnight.
N/A

When you say FTP are you just upload a website or downloading some heavy files?

If it just uploading a website it should be fine even at peak times unless you are downloading a lot via p2p which will kill the connection
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

PN don't support any form of bandwidth intensive data transfer - Not even though they offer a whopping "upto 8meg broadband" connection for you to do it on.

Pathetic isn't it!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If the greater than 600K bytes per second I get on binary usenet at all times of the day (including 8-10pm) is not bandwidth intensive data transfer I don't know what is!

All it needs is people to be on the correct account for their needs paying an appropriate amount.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@elderkin29

Bringing this back to the original query... your usage has reset now so any restrictions are lifted. If you are still seeing problems let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

All it needs is people to be on the correct account for their needs paying an appropriate amount.

Well how about paying £14 pm, for "upto 8 meg broadband" with 4GB allowance which I can't use?

Would you call 4GB appropriate? - I certainly would however I can't use it. Not unless I download everything via http which PN are too scared to throttle..

I get a 7.6Meg connection everyday (which is actually something I like about PN) however I can't use the bandwidth that is associated with it.

I'm sure I'm on an appropriate account type though..

I wonder elvin, if you think we're not on the correct account type, does that mean you are saying that PN are intentionally mis-selling their BB product?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

From the Broadband Plus page on the website (see here)

Perfect for surfing, email, chatting and shopping - not file-sharing and large downloads

Right there in the product summary, not buried in small print.

I'm not sure what it is here that you feel is being mis-sold.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you can keep your 8am to midnight usage below 4GB you can pay £16.49 on PAYG and see all your Usenet usage at the same sort of speed as you currently see on http.

You would be stunned by the difference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

When you say FTP are you just upload a website or downloading some heavy files?

The use of FTP was completely disabled, it would not log in to transfer any files. It was actually for accessing my work on my University servers which varies but is generally small files.

Bringing this back to the original query... your usage has reset now so any restrictions are lifted. If you are still seeing problems let us know.

Yes restrictions have been lifted and FTP now works during peak hours. However I am still not happy that a service would be completely disabled and not just throttled.

Thanks for all your replies and yes it appears the package may not be completely suitable for my usage. I will look in to moving.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BB+ is described on the traffic management pages as below.

If your usage goes over 4GB per month, your service will be heavily restricted until the start of your next billing month when your usage is reset.

PAYG or Premier may be better suited for your needs, PAYG simply adds more usage on as you need it.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team