cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Speeds

N/A

FTP Speeds

On the Service Status page feedback was said to be welcome on the FTP update issues, so here it is: Uploading to web sites has, for me at least, considerably improved. Usenet browsing and downloading, however, has got so bad that even downloading headers is almost impossible.

Actually, as I was composing this the download speed dropped to zero.
5 REPLIES
N/A

FTP Speeds

I should have been clear on this - when I say Usenet I mean third party Usenet, i.e. Giganews. Average download sped at this moment if 3KBps on a 2MB Broadband connection. Connecting via friends' broadband connections I get full speed any time of day. How are other ISPs manging this technological miracle?
Zathras
Grafter

FTP Speeds

Dunno but its pretty much blocked here. Giganews and Easynews, as they are subscription services people can max out theyre lines on them.
Liam
Grafter

FTP Speeds

Are you on Broadband Plus? If so, this product is not designed for Binary downloads. If not, how many threads are you running and at what times of the day do you experience slowdowns.

When the network is busy, Usenet and P2P take a lower priority than most other traffic on the network. This is to ensure a superior quality of service on interactive applications such as web browsing, gaming, VoIP, streaming etc...

At off-peak times, overnight for example, you should find that the speeds improve vastly as the amount of interactive traffic drops and P2P / Usenet takes up a much bigger share of the available bandwidth on our network.
N/A

FTP Speeds

I'm actually on broadband Premiere Option 1 (if it still goes under that name). Is there a better option for me? I'm open to advice and suggestion on this.

I've just been trying to video chat with a friend on Skype and we had to switch video off as the connection just couldn't keep up with the video. In the past that was never a problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

FTP Speeds

It depends upon your total usage and how much of that could be overnight (midnight to 8am). If it is not too high have a look at PAYG.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)