cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEC Errors

N/A

FEC Errors

All
I have just installed a Zoom X6 ADSL 2/2+ Adsl router in prepartion for end of March line upgrade to 8Mb from 2Mb.

It looks like i am receiving alot of FEC Errors..
Could you review this screen shot of the Router stats and give your opinions please and advice please.

Item Status
ADSL Line State: Showtime
Downstream: 7616 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps
Mode: G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
Transmit Power: 11.9 dB
ADSL Link UP Time: 0 day 0 hour 37 min 45 sec

Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 10.5 dB 22 dB
Line Attenuation 35.5 dB 17.0 dB
CRC Errors 85 0
FEC Errors 28836 1
HEC Errors 82 0
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

FEC Errors

According to that you are already on 8Mb and running at the higher end of what is possible (7616Kbs) so why do you thing you are going to be upgraded at the end of march? See what speed it says when you click on connection settings -> high speed broadband. If its 7000+ (whch is should be for a 7616Kbs synnc rate) you are running at the highest speed. If its 2000 something may have gone wrong and you need to raise a ticket to get it investigated.

You need to watch error the figures over a period of 24 hours and see by how much it increases. You are more likely to get higher errors in the eve when lots of people are using the internet and due to temp changes so line quality decreases.

In an ideal world they should all be 0 but 8Mb speeds can be affected more by changing line conditions. Its difficult to know from a single reading if it is a general situation (the numbers increase regularly) or due to a bad period (i.e. due to some interference) where you get a burst of errors then it settles down again.

My gut feeling is its a little high for 37 mins of connection but see how it is after 24 hours in case it was just a burst.

Also if it does not appear to be affecting your browsing speed then it is probably nothing to worry about.
N/A

FEC Errors

Hi Peter
When I look at connection settings and check line speed, it is only just over 2Mb, nowhere near 4/5MB average you could associate with 8Mb download speeds.
Community Veteran

FEC Errors

Assuming you have had the higher speed for more than 10 days you need to raise a ticket and get it investigated (I was editing my reply to say this as you were posting)
N/A

FEC Errors

Peter
Thankyou for your help, i will monitor for 24hours and raise a job ticket if the link is still slow.

The other concern was the high number of FEC errors.
shellsong
Grafter

FEC Errors

FEC errors are down to the correction of interleaving errors and are often high not least because routers seem to tend to overreport them-- they are perfectly normal on an interleaved connection and non existent on Fastpath
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

FEC Errors

@nsonbroadband

I've given your profile a nudge from here, try disconnecting/reconnecting and see what speeds you are getting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team