cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO PN: Your DNS is becoming intermittent.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

PN,

It seems that now your DNS servers are becoming intermittent. Every few minutes, requests to websites start to return 'page cannot be found' errors. When performing ping or tracert, the host cannot be resolved either. That means that a DNS lookup has failed as the domain name has not been resolved to a IP address. Seeing as the connection has it's DNS servers assigned dynamically to your DNS servers, that means you have a fault.

To get things working I have 2 choices:
1) Disconnect and attempt to reconnect
2) Ping a site multiple times using a batch file which is executed multiple times - This seems to eventually result in the domain names being resolved.

Please would you fix this rather stupid issue as it's becoming extremely annoying.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES
N/A

set some of your dns to open dns which is 208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220 that way it will always works its faster and has anti hacking built in as well
BoneMan
Grafter

it will always works its faster and has anti hacking built in as well

I'm sure that's right but OpenDNS are a commercial organisation and they are not doing this for the benefit of their health Wink. Please consider the implications of having all your look-ups logged against your IP address. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS for other downsides or google OpenDNS yourself Wink

Regards,

Ray.
Community Veteran

I see PN have chosen to ignore another topic which raises questions about their technical abilities.

How much longer are you going to keep messing us around?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've not noticed any problems with DNS over the last few days. We've just finished a big upgrade on the caching DNS servers, doubling the number of servers to 8 with 2 on each of the IP addresses.

Next time it happens can you run the following from a command prompt

nslookup www.plus.net 212.159.6.9

nslookup www.plus.net 212.159.6.10

nslookup www.plus.net 212.159.13.49

nslookup www.plus.net 212.159.13.50

probably best to run each a couple of times, that should show which DNS server (if any) is causing a problem.
Community Veteran

I brought this to your attention days ago.

Today you finally admit on your site that there is/has been/fixed a fault with your DNS:
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2

Strange, when reports roll in via large numbers you take it seriously. Until then, you ignore the advice of those who have already told you about it days earlier.

Incidentally, it still isn't fixed because it's still doing it. I've had problems this evening as usual.

Well I'm told that MAC requests must be in writing:
I would like my MAC code please.

Kind regards
Community Veteran

Here's the link...

Link

Then click on Request a MAC Key (moving to another broadband provider)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The problem with the DNS server this afternoon was a specific problem with one of the DNS servers which started around 5pm. I don't think the problem was causing any problems before that. As I said before the next time it happens I would be interested what result you get from those nslookup tests.
Community Veteran

I don't think the problem was causing any problems before that.

That fact that you can't say it with some sort of conviction makes me think I don't really even need to continue testing at my end.

Like I said above, I'd already told you your DNS was intermittent and then days later you find a fault. Do I really need to say more?

I notice the PN logo was on watchdogs broadband topic last night for bad providers..
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

We made improvements to the DNS servers adding an extra server to each DNS IP, obviously no system is flawless but the DNS servers have been responding well since the last problem.

I notice the PN logo was on watchdogs broadband topic last night for bad providers.
- I believe all 29 ISPs that were in the list had a logo shown on there.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Yes but that is my point exactly. Whilst you thought you were making improvements, something somewhere was going hiccupsy. You might not of noticed it and thus thought it was fine but it wasn't! Then when I told you, you ignored it!

My point is, you tinkered with it and bad thing happened. Then you said it wasn't doing bad things. Funny thing is, before you tinkered with it I didn't complain. So why don't you beleive it when someone reports a fault after you've been tinkering?

Can you see a logical connection here?: Tinkering = possible problems arising.

EDIT: On a side note, today has actually been good. No DNS errors, timeouts or page cannot be found stuff happening.