cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow download speed

N/A

Since this morning the speed of my connection has been absolutely diabolical. Normally I manage well over 4000 kbps but when I run speed tests earlier on I barely managed a meagre 454 kbs, which is a fraction (11%) of what I normally get.

I meant to log a call with PlusNet as I did in the past, but it appears that now it is impossible to speak to anyone or even to email support. This is totally unacceptable!

Has anyone been having similar problems today?

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
10-08-2006 17:16:30 454.4
10-08-2006 17:03:38 525
10-08-2006 17:03:31 525
10-08-2006 16:44:23 584.4
27-07-2006 22:19:48 4206.1
70 REPLIES
southerncomfort
Grafter

My speed is currently 146KB on a 6MB broadband connection.
Cannot contact support. What is there to do except change isp's? I stopped using plusnet for mail ages ago.
N/A

I've only just joined Plusnet on Monday and I've got better that 480kbps!! A joke.

I am only on the 30 day trial so I'll vote with my feet unless things improve greatly.
N/A

Sudden drop in download speed

I have experienced a similar sudden drop in download speed and upload speed. Normally I have a download speed at 5400kbps. I had a look at Service Status and there is no mention of any problem. Quite disgraceful really!

I am on the Leighton Buzzard exchange with LLU.
N/A

I've only just joined Plusnet on Monday and I've got better that 480kbps!! A joke.

I am only on the 30 day trial so I'll vote with my feet unless things improve greatly.

Wondered if you can get LLU'd on the 30 day trial?
You may be here longer than you think.
N/A

ahhh Me 2 im normaly downloading @5.5mps but ive just speed tested and (wait 4 it) 73kbps!!!!!!! ahhhhhhh dial up

Somethings gone wrong??
upload was 128kbps

Hope it goes back to normal :?
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
N/A

Same story here. Got an email on Saturday saying that I had been up'd from 1 Meg. Down at 96kbps at the moment. Sucks a$$.
Gorvul
Grafter

Yes, since about 3pm today, I have have extremely slow speeds. I'm glad that I have finally found this thread so that I know it's not just my problem. The most annoying thing about this is that PlusNet have not announced that there is a problem yet. I rang the service status phone number to hear a message saying there is no problem with the broadband.
What is the bleedin point of having that number to ring and service status pages, when they don't release up to date information on them. 5 and a half hours of this painfully slow speed, and PN have not announced anything. Really annoying that!!!!! Bad communication on their part.
When going through the broadband fault checker, it said it could not proceed with further checks until I disabled all firewalls.
I'm going to enable the hardware firewall again straight away, now I know it's a problem effecting more than just me.
I turned off the software firewall only for a few minutes then thought better of it. I don't like that part of the broadband fault checker. It's kind of like.. "disable your firewalls so we can check for problems, and if it's not your equipment at fault then after our checks are complete, which last about 2 hours, you will probably have a new set of problems to deal with because you left your system completely unguarded" crazy!

PlusNet should announce difficulties immediately!!!!! whether they are tiscalli, BT or PN problems, they should keep us informed immediately.

I accept that things go wrong, but I'm P'd off with this lack of information.
N/A

I've got the same problem, since 2pm my net has gone from 2mb to 500k and now 80k, strangely my upload has not been affected. P2P was knocked out right away.

Are we all LLUed here?
N/A

Yes I too tried the BB fault checker and gave up on it as a 'bad joke'. Its not acceptable that the most efficient way to get info on service faults is to trawl through these forums. This is the second Broadband fault that has occured to my connection in recent weeks with a very slow response from Plusnet to acknowledge a problem exists.

I have been a member of Plusnet for about 6 years and I'm increasingly loosing confidence in their service. Sky broadband will become available in my area soon and its very tempting to move.
Community Veteran

Another me too post and i'm on LLU.

Sync 1500Kbs, download speeds of 450Kbs and its been slow since early afternoon.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hi

Same thing for me, OK up to around 6:30 ish tonight, then gone from perfenctly stable 2Mbs to around 200Kbps. I am LLUd as well. I have tried with both my router, and also just downgraded to my USB modem, same thing ( trying to rule out my router). Anyone any ideasHuh
Gorvul
Grafter

I'm LLU yes.
Gorvul
Grafter

hesketh14, the only idea I have is to wait. To wait until Plusnet decide to post an announcement that there is a problem.

there is little we can do if it is a problem at their end, apart from wait until they sort it out. Hopefully they already know they have a problem. I would like to know what procedures they go through before posting an announcement. Do they wait until they've made a certain amount of revenue on the premium rate phonecalls? When they've reached that quota do they then decide to post an announcement? I don't know. Why is there such a delay in announcing problems? The last time I thought it was my problem they also took nearly a day to post that they'd had problems.

I would like to know why announcements can't be made sooner.
N/A

Re: Sudden drop in download speed

I have experienced a similar sudden drop in download speed and upload speed. Normally I have a download speed at 5400kbps. I had a look at Service Status and there is no mention of any problem. Quite disgraceful really!

I am on the Leighton Buzzard exchange with LLU.

I got LLU'd yesterday and I am also on the Leighton Buzzard exchange. Its slow as treacle. I have asked for my MAC code.