cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External ADSL Modem

N/A

External ADSL Modem

I will soon have an extra pc and I need to have them both sharing the adsl connection, I know it can be done through a crossover cables and 2 network cards using home networking, but i dont want one pc to be turned on for the other to be online.
So i need an external USB modem/hub/router or whatever they are called, that will always be turned on to share the plusnet adsl connection, I DON'T WANT USB!! i want a nice rj45 connection, as both pcs have network cards. This will mean only 1 of either pcs can be turned on and be online.
But will both pcs need firewall software installed? Or would that be built into the external modem (hope its a good firewall)

So my question is does anyone know of a piece of equipment to do this, preferebly under or just around £50?

Remember I need it to be able to share it as RJ45, NOT USB!

Thanks for your time!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: External ADSL Modem

Check out www.ebuyer.co.uk for cheap hardware.

You need an ADSL Router with 2 or more ports (usual minimum is 4). Or a single port device and a seperate hub. Make sure it is PPPoA compatible and is described as an ADSL gateway or similar. Ignore Ebuyer's so called 'broadband' routers.

No need for software firewalls, most routers have some sort of firewalling, and usually simply using NAT will be fine.

Chris
N/A

Thanks for the quick response Chris!
Would something like this be sufficent?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

N/A

> Thanks for the quick response Chris!
> Would something like this be sufficent?
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...
>
>

OH! And will that be able to let me create a small home network also so i can share printers and drives etc.. over the 2 pcs?
bluewhale
Grafter

Another thing to be careful of is that some routers ( eg the cheap one I bought from ebuyer ) have problems dealing with VPN and other protocols that don't work well through NAT.
bluewhale
Grafter

Another thing to be careful of is that some routers ( eg the cheap one I bought from ebuyer ) have problems dealing with VPN and other protocols that don't work well through NAT.