cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension line causing significant speed loss

N/A

I brought up a ticket with plusnet and went through the steps to troubleshoot the fact my 2MBit connection is going only little faster than half speed, seems like the socket my router is connected to is whats causing the speed loss.

Obviously the easiest thing to do would be to relocate my router, but thats simply not possible as I have 4 wired machines in the same room, and I don't fancy giving them a single cable going across the whole house to stay connected to the network.

I'm going to have to rewire the socket, in that case, but I'm thinking the cable going to the socket may be dodgey. However, I've got about 50m worth of CAT5e cable hanging around, might I be able to use that instead of the cheapy extension cable normally sold at B&Q or whatever? Would that be worth trying to resolve my speed issue?

Also, would it be advisable to have a Z-blocker coming straight off the first socket in the house, so all normal phones are filtered and have a seperate line going to my router?

Cheers
6 REPLIES
N/A

Have you confirmed it is your socket causing the problem or have PN told you that is what it might be. as I have a similer problem and have tried a different socket with the same results, half speed.
LiamM
Grafter

At work, our broadband is enabled on the dedicated line into the factory (since we have a PBX and DACS on other lines). The office is a good 100m away from the line, yet the cheapy extension cable and extention socket works a treat and we suffer almost no affect to our line stats.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I'm pretty sure there's no reason why you couldn't use the CAT 5 cable as you already have it, unless you have plans for it for future use, and want to save some money buying cheap cable for your phone, which should work perfectly well.

Phil
N/A

Its definatley the socket. I tested at the first socket of the house and I get full speed. Any other socket and it goes at half speed or worse.

The CAT5 will just hang around till nevermore since we've already plumbed wired ethernet sockets in everywhere we need to.

Also, is it likley to be the connectors themselves causing problems? Because currently the line goes in and out of two boxes before it gets to my router, might I be losing signal there too?
chymorva
Grafter

Hi,

1. Every connection has the potential to cause problems, so the fewer the better. I would recommend using 1 cable from the BT socket to your router if possible.

2. With my original setup I had a 5m ADSL extension lead from the master BT socket to my router. I was getting high attenuation & low SNR. I eventually traced the problem to being the ADSL extension lead itself. I now have a cheap telephone extension cable instead and get an attenuation of <10dB & SNR of >30dB. So as you can see using a cheap telephone cable is OK.
N/A

What is the color sequence that goes to the j45 plug?

Thanks

Paul