cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension cable

N/A

Extension cable

Hi there

Can anyone give me some advice. My computer is about 10 meters away from the phone connection box and i have read that ADSL cables are only 2 metres in length. What will happen if i use an extension cable...will it affect my broadband signal?

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

Extension cable

Using a 10 or even 15 m extention cable should be pretty much OK as the length should not see any loss to affect the signal.

I would advise puchasing one from a DSL equipment supplier though, as they are of a suficient quality for this, where as many DIY stores are of a poorer quality.
Community Veteran

Extension cable

Another and perhaps easier option for you is to just extend the phone cable so that it is nearer to the PC.

See the Wiring and filters help where there are my diagrams that I hope will help make the wiring of your ADSL connection clearer.
N/A

Extension cable

I agree with John, I use a 10m phone extension cable reel which I got from Argos. I haven't had any problems since I got ADSL.
N/A

Extension cable

I used an extension to the phone line to allow a connection to the phone socket to be flat to the wall to go behind a book case. The ADSL modem intermittently dropped calls. I changed to a splitter with a short piece of cable (unlike the solid versions supplied). The modem has been much more stable since. It suggests to me that extensions may not be ideal and the quality of them and possibly the total distance of the cabling from the inward BT line connection may be an issue.

Good luck.
Community Veteran

Extension cable

What you are saying would suggest that the original splitter was the problem.
Lets face it if the signal has traveled several kilometers from the exchange to your home, another few feet of cable isn't going to make any difference.(unless you are on the limits already)
What is important though is the condition of the connectors used in any extensions as this is where most of the losses occur.
Always make sure that the visible contacts are clean and bright and its also a good idea to insert and remove the plug from the BT socket several times as this has the effect of cleaning the contacts.
N/A

Extension cable

If you work in an office there will always be some nice Cat 5 stuff lying around....

:lol: Wink
N/A

Extension cable

Only if yoru as untidy as me!