cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension cable woes for asdl

N/A

Hi, I'm after some information / help / experiences from anybody who has had disconnection problems relating to telephone extension cables.

My adsl line was activated a couple of days ago but after I eagerly installed the modem, plugged it into my telephone extension cable and sat back to enjoy the broadband revolution, I was encountering problems with frequent disconnection. After trying about everything in the book I finally bit the bullet and shifted the pc (and what appeared to be a hundred cables :shock: ) into the living room so that I could try the master socket - and hey presto! everything is hunky dory. Fine, but I can hardly sit my pc in the middle of the living room now can I? LOL.

I was now wondering what the best plan of action would be. I've contacted BT who have said that it will cost £99 to have the master socket shifted to where I want it, but I was wondering if a modem extension cable would work as this would obviously be the cheaper option. I should mention that extension cable needs to be around 15metres long. Also is there a chance that if I replace the old telephone extension cable with a new one that this would work, ie could the quality of the cable be at fault? It's worked fine for telephone and dial-up but doesn't like my new asdl Sad

I'd be grateful for all opinions.

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

I use a 15m extension cable between my wall socket anf my modem. I've had no problems since installation. I don't know where your filter is, but mine is between the modem and the extension, NOT in the wall.
N/A

Just had some info on buying some quality cat5 cable which will hopefully solve the problem.

The filter is set-up correctly, it would just appear that the extension cable is of poor quality - off to the shops at the weekend Smiley
Community Veteran

Have a look at the ADSL wiring guide in the Tutorials Section of this forum
Here
N/A

A good quality extension cable should work without a problem, i had BT move my master socket when i originally had ADSL installed. Engineer installs were so much easier!
N/A

Yes, but people wishing to aim for the higher IPStream home 1000 package are now seen paying the cost with two regrades to get there.

In some cases, people wish to move ISP too, meaning a migration and two regrades. Not the cheapest.
N/A

A good quality extension cable

I got mine from Argos, £10 I think.
Neondaze
Grafter

My master socket is in my hallway. From here I installed my own set of extensions with a kit from B & Q. Each room now has it's own telephone socket which all work with ADSL as long as the filter is connected between the socket and ADSL cable. Installing proper extension sockets is easy if you take a little care and attention, and much neater than the standard extension cable.

Since the above, circumstances meant a shift in the location of the PC. This required me to use a standard extension cable. This I have plugged into one of the extension sockets I installed. The filter is attached to the end of the extension. This allows me to attach my dial up modem and ADSL modem.

The above set works fine and has done for over 12 months.
N/A

Thanks to everyone.

I have now replaced my extension cable and everything appears to be working fine Cheesy