cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience on being moved to LLU

Community Veteran

I originaly locked this thread as it was too similar to another already running.
However a user has pointed out the they are slightly different so I have changed the title to try and make that difference clear and will re open this one.

Appologies to the original poster.
8 REPLIES
N/A

I am currently on a fixed 2MB line which has been rock solid and fast for the past year I have been with PlusNet.

My exchange is enabled with Tiscali LLU and I am dreading the likely upcoming change which PlusNet will want to impliment.

I am close to the exchange.

Before making up my mind about Opting out of LLU / MaxDsl I would like to know if any one who has been moved to LLU are happy and getting a fast reliable service?

Thanks

Andy
N/A

Thanks John, I am hoping that there are probably quite a few users who have or are experiencing a positive LLU move and this may help myself and others make the right decision on Opt-out.

Andy
N/A

you can find some answers (and many more) in this FAQ:

http://usergroup.plus.net/tiscali_faq_280706.php

There are no direct testimonials, but there's a reference to an online survey done on people migrated to LLU. Basically 12000 people have been migrated, the sample size of the survey is not reported, but among those who responded, "over 90%" are happy or indifferent, for the rest "it is clear that they have been severely impacted...". People that are part of the second group are more likely to hang out in this forum and make themselves heard, so you won't get a balanced opinion here.

On the other hand, it is worth noting that a move back from LLU to ipstream looks fairly complicated (if the migration procedure is any guide) with the added twist that this costs to PN. Also it seems opting out has to be actionned quickly before the move to LLU is scheduled. If I were you I would opt out now and let the dust settle as this does not preclude the possibility of moving to LLU in the future, but of course you be the judge...

regards,

M.
N/A

Thanks M, very interesting - I had not seen this. Reading it does impart an element of reassurance - but the problem is you never know how it will turn out until you are migrated.

If I Opt out now can you Opt back in later?

It is clear that many, many people have had problems with MaxDsl.

I would like to hear from any happy bunnies on LLU

Andy
penders
Grafter

From Reading also - Reading South exchange (LLU)

Hi Andy, interested to see you are also from Reading. I'm on the "Reading South" exchange and began the MaxDSL move on around the 13th June and have since been moved to LLU (I assume MaxDSL / LLU didn't occur at the same time?!)

I too was previously on a "fixed 2Mbps line which has been rock solid and fast for the past year (and a bit) I have been with PlusNet."

My short answer... a month and a half later and my connection is 'capped' at a slower 1500Kbps and together with all the connection problems I've had (ie. being unable to get any sync at all for several days) I can say I'm not very satisfied just yet!

However, you say you are "close to the exchange". I hear that some who are very close and have a good line get moved to MaxDSL/LLU without even realising it! I'm about 2.2km (straight line) from the exchange and my line stats aren't great. My router is currently reporting, downstream:

SNR Margin: 12.3 dB
Attenuation: 57 dB

These figures are actually worse after having been moved to LLU - just coincidence, I don't know?

(Like I say, I did have a rock solid 2Mbps connection, with a consistent download speed of 1.8Mbps)

I understand that MaxDSL is less tolerant to lines that are not so good (and that includes your home wiring), as your speed gets 'downgraded' when you have a connection problem and it takes a while for your speed to get back up again. I had to re-jig my home wiring a tad after being LLU'd as suddenly I got a very low sync speed (and a v.v.slow connection) - it had previously been OK.

Like I say, I am somehow limited to a 1500Kbps connection at the mo (so called 'stable rate'), despite now syncing at 3500+Kbps and having an actual download speed of 1480+Kbps for the past 5 days. They say 3 days and your speed is likely to increase. Is it possible that this has been 'fixed/locked'?

ASIDE: I was actually having problems connecting to PlusNet itself late last night, even though I was still syncing OK and was able to to connect using the 'test' account OK. And this is my Nth attempt at posting to this thread!!?

Anyway, if you are very close to the exchange and have a good line then I would have said you are in with a good chance of being OK. But then if it already works (rock solid 2Mbps), why fix it?!

I hope I haven't strayed too far from the point. Best of luck with the "upgrade"!

Regards,
Andy (just another coincidence!)
N/A

:shock:
N/A

Andy, thanks for the very informative reply. I am on the Tilehurst exchange which has Tisacli and Easynet enabled.

I have just about made up my mind to Opt out of LLU at this time because of the difficulty of getting a MAC code if I ever want to leave and the risk of a reduced service on LLU. At least with Max I can more easily move back to the fixed 2MB if it goes silly.

My current stats are:

Line Attenuation Down: 35dB Up: 22dB

Noise Margin Down: 21.8dB Up: 27dB

My speeds have always been 1.9 and I am about 1Km from the exchange.

Andy
penders
Grafter

LLU a deciding factor

Hi Andy, I must say, your line stats look very good! Certainly capable of a lot more, but I believe noise margins can drop by 5 or 6dB with each increase in speed.

I must admit, one of the main reasons I chose PlusNet in the very beginning was that is was *NOT* LLU !! For the same reason you give - problematic if you later want to change providers. Plus the fact even the word 'Tiscali' gives me the shakes.

Personally, if I had a choice, I would not have moved to LLU.

I believe PlusNet will now issue MAC codes for LLU in certain circumstances(?) But then the ISP that you wanted to move to would need to support the same kind of system/MAC code(?)