cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange info what does it mean

munsy
Grafter

I have recently joined PN and have to say very impressed so far. I applied for the 2Mb Premiere but apparently my local exchange cant handle that sort of speed yet. I download at an average of 955kbs when doing a speed test so I believe this is around what you would expect from a 1Mb service. I check the exchange status page and don't understand what they refer to, how do I find out if my exchange will be upgraded so that I can get the full usage of a 2Mb service. This is what my exchange as on it.

RGE-ADSL-101 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in April 2005
RGE-ADSL-102 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in May 2005
RGE-DSL-001 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in Aug 2005

You are on the DSLAM known as RGE-ADSL-102.

Can any one tell me what this implies in straight terms. Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES
N/A

All exchanges already support 2Mb speeds. It sounds more like a case that your telephone line does not support the 2Mb speeds.

As lines get further away from an exchange, they lose signal. Sence, the longer they are, the less speed they can handle.

As such, it sounds pretty much like you are on the maximum speed your line can currently handle. 1Mb.
munsy
Grafter

All exchanges already support 2Mb speeds. It sounds more like a case that your telephone line does not support the 2Mb speeds.

As lines get further away from an exchange, they lose signal. Sence, the longer they are, the less speed they can handle.

As such, it sounds pretty much like you are on the maximum speed your line can currently handle. 1Mb.

Sorry if this is a daft reply does that mean that all I can ever expect from my present location is nothing over a 1Mb connection ever, or is it a case of moving nearer to my exchange. Is there anything that I can do myself to get a faster speed for me. Can I pay anyone to improve my line in order to get a faster connection.