cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server

N/A

Exchange Server

Help

I trying to set up Small Business Server 2003 which has exchange server. for this reason i want any mail to anyname@domain.com to be downloaded to exchange on one lump where we can distribute from there. i have followed the initial guide in static IP, DNS records etc (btw the guide says to fill left fields for MX but submit says you don’t have a left field..... :? )

If I send a mail to myname@domain.com it gets bumped back as follows:

SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:< myname@domain.com>:
host mx.last.plus.net [212.159.6.18]: 550 relay not permitted

I have searched the forums but I have not yet found a single reference to MS exchange. Surely there are some PN users using exchange ?

the domain was registered a week or so. we have a single page up and it works ok so seems to be hosted......

Cry

Help…
Please… pretty please ?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Exchange Server

Are PN aware they should be allowing mail to your domain? I don't know how PN operate, but a lot of ISP's have an Allowed Recipients list which lists all domains their customers want to receive email to. The 550 error means the PN's server is not aware it should relay email for anything@domain.com

Also, how is the DNS configured for your domain? Normally you would set your lowest cost MX to be that of your server and the next cost would be the PN store and forward server (mx.last.plus.net)
the_norris
Grafter

Exchange Server

All i did to get my domain.com mail to forward to my Static IP was to select

"SMTP- I wish mail to this domain to be delivered to my static IP by SMTP"

Under the Configure section for my domain.com (Domain settings)

This option configures the MX records for you so the first server (IP) is your Static IP of yuor connection. And the backup plusnet mail server as the secound option (in case yuor server is down etc)

Make sure you do a a relay test on your mail server - you don;t what spammer using yuor server as spam relay.

See http://www.abuse.net/relay.html to test.

Note: don't forget to forward port 25 on yuor router to yuor mail server.

Note: I'm using Novell Groupwise as my mail system.

Phil
FireStorm
Grafter

Exchange Server

I would too state this as an Mx problem... i run exchange 2003 server with out a problem.

My Mx record looks like this...

uber-servers.co.uk MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 10 smtp.firestorm-design.co.uk
uber-servers.co.uk MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 20 orion.userve.net

My smtp.firestorm-design.co.uk record resolves to my static ADSL ip.
smtp.firestorm-design.co.uk A (Address) 80.229.23.37

I would use sam spade to research your DNS info...
http://www.samspade.org/ssw/download.html

Good luck, If you need anyhelp feel free to email me d.deen@uber-servers.co.uk
N/A

Exchange Server

What you havent said is how you connect to the internet if its via a router and your using nat your mail wouldnt get to the server unless you forward the ports on your router. If you are using nat then the default ip would be the router.

If you are using a modem is it connected to the exchange box?
FireStorm
Grafter

Exchange Server

Think this is delt with now buddy. It was a long time ago.