cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 721 - BT/PlusNet Frustration

N/A

Hi,

My local exchange was ADSL enabled just over a week ago (18th) and on the 25th a BT engineer called to remove my Home Highway / ISDN box and get the line enabled. Lo and behold, everything worked - I went and plugged in my (temporary) USB modem (Binatone ADSL500) and hurray, after waiting for what seemed like forever I had broadband....... for about an hour Sad

The modem refused to connect and I phoned PlusNet who advised me to try the bt_test@startup_domain username - still no joy, won't even log in with that. OK, ticket raised - PlusNet do some tests - phoneline is fine. Modem synchs OK, ADSL light comes on on modem.

I try a neighbours modem and get the same result - and they have the same problem on their line (they're with OneTel). Everytime you try and connect it makes the connection and then cannot authenticate any username/password. Error 721.

From a quick Google, I understand that this is definitely a BT problem - but with no direct contact to BT other than via PlusNet things haven't been fixed. PlusNet have arranged for an engineers visit tomorrow - but I can categorically say that it is a waste of their time and money when all that appears to be looked at is the routing/authentication.....

Please, can someone from PlusNet please give me a sensible answer as to how/when this will be fixed. 1 hours ADSL usage out of 5 days since activation is hardly good.

:x

Andy
Username: akirkland
6 REPLIES
N/A

I assume that you've already raised a ticket with PN. If it's a BT problem, only BT can resolve it, PN can advise BT of the issue but nothing more. Sad
N/A

Yep - opened a ticket with PlusNet - I'm just quite surprised how long it takes BT to look at the issue considering it seems to be a "soft" problem rather than a physical problem with my connection/phoneline. If an entire exchange is off air then I would like to think that PlusNet could put a priority message through to BT and get it looked at more urgently.

Is it usual to wait for this long to get what appears to be a simple issue resolved?

Andy
N/A

To be honest I don't how long it should or shouldn't take. The BT engineer will probably be using his/her own equipment, to test the link and advice of any changes that need to be made on their side. If it is a routing entry as you suspect it shouldn't take them long.

I know it's a pain waiting, I had a problem with my line about 6 months ago and I had to wait for BT to come and fix it, but it will get fixed. Cheesy

Aaron
N/A

dont rely on PN support :p phone BT and see what they say.. or at least get a contact number from the man they send to your house.. as that way it will at least be wtih BT that you talk and not to the support ppl here.
N/A

The problem is, BT can't talk to the customer. You as a PlusNet customer, are not a BT customer (in not in the eyes of ADSL).

The customer relationship for BT, is between PlusNet and BT.

The problems here are being masked by the Bank Holiday. 3 of those 5 days are a period where both the people that accept new fault reports at PlusNet and those at BT are not working.

The fact this sounds like a BT related issue is good. As you should be able to have your billing date adjusted to account for the time you have been unable to avccess the service.
N/A

Result!

BT engineer phoned yesterday afternoon (yes, a Bank Holiday!) and confirmed that there was a problem with the MUX in the local exchange and he'd re-racked / thumped / replaced it and everything worked again.

For once I'm impressed with a service in the UK!

Cheers,

Andy