cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails Again

MajorError
Dabbler

Emails Again

Has anyone had the problem in the last week of timeing-out from connection to metronet and other ISP servers using the metronet broadband, despite increas in period from 2 to 10 minutes?
I know there is some problem with emails at present (Service Status notes) but my difficulty begun several days before the current kerfuffle.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Emails Again

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid its looking like this is your problem - although it is really difficult to tell with all the troubles with email over the past few days Cry but you did say "and other ISP servers".

When you say the connection is timing out - are we only talking about email using Outlook or some other email programme, or are you using IE to access web mail. Have you tried both methods with all you email accounts - assuming they support both pop3 and web mail. Or, do you mean that you can't access ordinary web pages :?:

So that some kind passing Metronetter might offer assistance could you please give a few more details of your set up and be a little more explicate on the symptoms.

Cheers
Bill
MajorError
Dabbler

Emails Again

I have been gettting the following error from Outlook - "
Task 'mail.metronet.co.uk - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"

As advised I extended the idle time setting to 'Long' from 2 to 10 minutes - to no effect.

I have no problems with broadband access viewing webpages/sites, at present, or I wouldn't be posting here Smiley The metronet webmail also passed into inaccessability after a while - but that may just be a password thing. Emailing other sites on their own web-mail set-ups are not a problem.

Setup - hardware or software? Using XPpro, for emails running Outlook and more rarely Outlook Express. Settings appear the same as they ever were when it worked. Just downloaded Thunderbird to see if that can have an effect. All email (not web-mail) sites that I access use POP3/SMTP.

For general browseing I use IE or Firefox. Is that enough detail?
Community Veteran

Emails Again

Hi

I have no problems with broadband access viewing webpages/sites, at present, or I wouldn't be posting here

Don't forget you have a dial up connection you can use when your broadband is down Wink

I take it that now that email system is up and running again that the problem still exists :?:

The metronet webmail also passed into inaccessability after a while - but that may just be a password thing. Emailing other sites on their own web-mail set-ups are not a problem.

Sorry, but I don't quite get this.
You can not access or read your Metronet email using Outlook and Webmail :?:
But you can read and send mail using other email providers using Outlook :?:

When sending mail via your other email accounts are you using the the outgoing server smtp.Metronet :?:

Just downloaded Thunderbird to see if that can have an effect.

Thunderbird is a good move anyway Cheesy

Appologies for all the questions - but I'm just trying to clarify exactly what you can and cannot do.

There is also troubleshooting info Here

Any one else care to join in :?:

Cheers
Bill
MajorError
Dabbler

Emails Again

I know I could use dial up, but then why have broadband? Oh yes, the windows, Office and other software updates - not fogetting online games! Smiley But, email is essential.

Yes, the problem persists despite the resurrection of the Metronet email system. Cry

It works like this; If I use Outlook, Outlook Express and now Thunderbird access is a problem, I can't download emails most of the time. But I can sometimes - if verrry slowly.
Web-mail access to most providers, of that service, appears to work in IE6 or Firefox. But, not with metronet - but I still think that is a password problem and unrelated to the main problem.

Out going email uses the smtp.metronet to all accounts. However, I can only download from virgin and must use dial-up to send an email as I don't have broadband with them. This I don't mind.

You gotta recall, this is a recent problem that started a bit before Metronets recent kerfuffle with emails. Also, that I do not get the notification of reply emails from this forum :lol:
Community Veteran

Emails Again

The plot thickens

I can't download emails most of the time. But I can sometimes - if verrry slowly.
Web-mail access to most providers, of that service, appears to work in IE6 or Firefox. But, not with metronet - but I still think that is a password problem and unrelated to the main problem.

As you probably know the email system has had a complete rebuild new servers etc.

Have you tried accessing your Metronet email via dial up :?:

As you can "sometimes" get access via broadband and can send via the Metronet smtp server I think we can rule out password problems.

Me thinks - if you have not done so already you need to raise a "Contact Us" query on this. I would suggest that you break down your message such that the sailent points are presented clearly and include details of the steps you have followed from the "trouble shoot" page - otherwise you risk a short standard reply from a very busy CSC agent.

As I said above - anyone else like to throw in their 2p worth :?:

Cheers
Bill
N/A

Emails Again

As I said above - anyone else like to throw in their 2p worth

I'm confused here. I can't work out what is downloading slowly, from a Metronet email account or from another server? It shouldn't be needed to dialup to virgin to do email stuff. Send all emails from whatever the email address is through smtp.metronet.co.uk
Download emails from virgin using your Metronet adsl connection, unless virgin have suddenly decided that you can only get mail from their pop3 servers if you are connecte
Cheers
Jond to them.
Am I missing something here ? Cheesy
Community Veteran

Emails Again

Hi Jon

Your 2p worth is very welcome as usual Wink

The OP is having problems with timeouts from mail@metronet even on the new servers - which is about to switch back to the old servers. The others accounts appear to be OK. Any ideas :?:

Cheers
Bill
N/A

Emails Again

Hi Bill.
If the accounts are going back to the old servers I would be inclined to wait 'till then and see what happens. Also re-input all configurations into outlook or whatever, flush any dns cache that windows sees fit to have and try again.
Not much good I know, but combine a borked email system with a borked OS there is bound to be problems Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
Community Veteran

Emails Again

Also re-input all configurations into outlook or whatever, flush any dns cache that windows sees fit to have and try again.

He has just installed Thunderbird and still gets the same problem - then again he may have automatically imported the settings rather than re-inputting them.

Where is the DNS cache and how does one clear it :?:

Cheers
Bill
N/A

Emails Again

Where is the DNS cache and how does one clear it

Hi Bill.
I haven't a clue Sad I think you have to open a dos box and type dns-flush or something)
This dns stuff is only relevant if Metronet have changed Ip of the mail server anyway but I got so used to having to do stuff which seemed to have no bearing on the problem with windows I thought I'd add it to the list Cheesy
The only other thing at the moment that I can think of which might cause a problem is the MTU setting. Don't know why it should, but just another thing to check. Set it at 1428 for Metronet iirc to get best results.
Without tcp packets dumps etc it is hard to know what the problem is and even with the dumps it's unlikely I know enough to offer a sensible solution Cheesy
Cheers
Jon
MajorError
Dabbler

Emails Again

Hello All,
As to the Virgin thing - it has been the case since i got Metronet BB that you can download emails from virgin but not send them from the virgin account unless you connect directly to virgin, if you have a dial-up account with them and not BB - as I do. It does not bother me. Being unable to contact POP3 server on metronet does.

smtp/pop3 settings is as per what I was told and on the Help files.

I have raised a query, but with no luck so far. The favourite is a AV / Firewall thing - but as I told them it doesn't matter if they are present or not; their presence is due to to using Systemworks (for All-IN-JOYS Smiley ) Also ping-pong with them is not...

I checked Thunderbird settings they appear OK, as does the Outlook/Outlook Express.

DNS flush? :?

MTU? I recall in the mists of history setting this, or at least revewing it, I suppose I shall have to dig out the paperwork and look for it.

Thnaks anyway Wink
Wink Wink
Community Veteran

Emails Again

Hi

You can set up outlook to send via Metronet with your Virgin account address as the return address and save having to dial in - I use this method for several mail accounts Shocked

Have you seen this latest information

Cheers
Bill
MajorError
Dabbler

Emails Again

Hello,
Thank you for your suggestion and the pointer to the information. Smiley
I have been away for a few day andI haven't had time to follow-up every thing yet.
WRT to other ISPs, In normal circumsatances I do something like you suggest - its only to keep the virgin account that I dial in from time to time and of course when there are problems with BB.
MajorError
Dabbler

Emails Again

Well, I tried the suggestions. And Great, I could connect and download my email Cheesy a lot of spam though Sad but... It (the email failure to connect) started again - I know there has today been some portal/email problems but they were fixed :?

I might... try... sky :twisted: , no no not yet
:!: