cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eicon 2430SE conversion

rslsys
Grafter

Eicon 2430SE conversion

I have been browsing a Belgian site which claims that you can convert an Eicon 2430SE (NAT, no Bridging) to an Eicon 2440 (Switchable NAT, Bridging enabled, simultaneous USB & RJ45 connection) by regressing the 2430 firmware to version 1.1.1 and then loading the 2440 firmware. Anyone else heard of this being possible?

Good Wheeze if it works.

Keith
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Eicon 2430SE conversion

> I have been browsing a Belgian site which claims that you can convert an Eicon 2430SE (NAT, no Bridging) to an Eicon 2440 (Switchable NAT, Bridging enabled, simultaneous USB & RJ45 connection) by regressing the 2430 firmware to version 1.1.1 and then loading the 2440 firmware. Anyone else heard of this being possible?
>
> Good Wheeze if it works.
>
>
> Keith
>

I don't know if it is possible but like you Keith I would find this very useful.
I have 2 PCs which were networked but the 2430SE does not like to be connected to a PC that also has a network Card fitted?
Only way I can get the Internet to both machines at the moment(one at a time)is to swap the cable at the back of the 2430SE from USB for one machine or to RJ45 for the other.

John
rslsys
Grafter

> Only way I can get the Internet to both machines at the moment(one at a time)is to swap the cable at the back of the 2430SE from USB for one machine or to RJ45 for the other.
>
> John
>

John

Whilst I am awaiting confirmation that this is possible ( I don't want to trash a clients 2430!).

Your way forward is quite simple. Put a network card in your other pc, connect both PC's and the 2430 to a small hub or switch and both PCs will be able to access ADSL at the same time! I have 70 PCs accessing the net by this method.

Will post more when (if) I hear more on the conversion.

Keith
Community Veteran

>
> > Only way I can get the Internet to both machines at the moment(one at a time)is to swap the cable at the back of the 2430SE from USB for one machine or to RJ45 for the other.
> >
> > John
> >
>
> John
>
> Whilst I am awaiting confirmation that this is possible ( I don't want to trash a clients 2430!).
>
> Your way forward is quite simple. Put a network card in your other pc, connect both PC's and the 2430 to a small hub or switch and both PCs will be able to access ADSL at the same time! I have 70 PCs accessing the net by this method.
>
> Will post more when (if) I hear more on the conversion.
>
> Keith
>

Thanks Keith
I did actualy try this suggestion but was not successful in making it work?
I set up IP addresses to follow on from the 2430 address but it would only connect to the first computer to grab it and if the other tried to call then the the "Diva Assistant" program reported Crashes and informed me that the IP was "Already loaned out"?
If you have any ideas why it would not work then they would be most welcome.

John
Community Veteran

> Thanks Keith
> I did actualy try this suggestion but was not successful in making it work?
> I set up IP addresses to follow on from the 2430 address but it would only connect to the first computer to grab it and if the other tried to call then the the "Diva Assistant" program reported Crashes and informed me that the IP was "Already loaned out"?
> If you have any ideas why it would not work then they would be most welcome.
>
> John

Keith
Further to the above post.
I have had a good search round the Eicon website and it states quite clearly that the 2430SE can only be connected to ONE computer at a time and inserting a device such as a router is not supported.
So it looks as though I will have to stick with the swapping of USB - Cat5 to use my 2 machines one at a time.

John

rslsys
Grafter

> > If you have any ideas why it would not work then they would be most welcome.
> >
> > John

John

IP of 2430 is 192.168.1.1

If you setup 1st PC to have IP of 192.168.1.2
2nd PC to 192.168.1.3
Set Primary DNS on both PCs to 212.159.11.150
Set Seconday DNS on both PCs to 212.159.13.150
Set Gateway IP on both PCs to 192.168.1.1

Plug Both PC's & 2430 into a hub (2430 may need to connect to the uplink port - depending on hub type)

If you can ping 192.168.1.1 from both PCs then they should both be capable of connecting to the net via the 2430.

I too have called Eicon regarding the 2430. They get very defensive about the differences between 2430 & 2440. Not suprising really as there is nearly £200 difference in the prices. I have got a cheap & cheerful ADSL Modem/Router on order to act as backup in case the 2430 does not respond to the proposed surgery. Will post the results here.

Keith
Community Veteran

Thanks Keith for the info on setting up the 2 Pcs to the 2430.
Followed your instructions but still problems.
First entering the Gateway IP in the Network card TC/IP setup box on the main PC causes it to lock up during bootup.
So I left that out on both Machines and entered it in the IE5 LAN Settings with the following reults.

Both machines can talk to each other and exchange files fine.
Both machines can ping each other.
But only my main machine can ping the 2430.
Can also connect to the net from the main machine but not from machine 2.
The setup also makes my main machine very unstable and it locks up at random.

So back to the drawing board and everything set back to using USB or Cat 5 one at a time.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk