cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of extension wiring

stonechat
Grafter

Effect of extension wiring

I got my router yesterday, and had some difficulty connecting. I could not connect on the extension in the study.
I found that I could connect at the main phone socket (though too inconvenient to use), and that both splitter work OK, I can connect (at the master socket) with the extension wiring connected, and with both phones connected via splitters. But although the phone works on the end of the extension, ADSL will not! Any ideas? Of course I can rewire, etc, but does the effect of the length of extension wiring affect ADSL?
My set-up

Main-------------Extension
socket socket
| |
Splitter Splitter ----- Router
| |
Phone Phone

Thanks Bob
--
Bob
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Effect of extension wiring

> I got my router yesterday, and had some difficulty connecting. I could not connect on the extension in the study.
> I found that I could connect at the main phone socket (though too inconvenient to use), and that both splitter work OK, I can connect (at the master socket) with the extension wiring connected, and with both phones connected via splitters. But although the phone works on the end of the extension, ADSL will not! Any ideas? Of course I can rewire, etc, but does the effect of the length of extension wiring affect ADSL?
> My set-up
>
> Main-------------Extension

Bob
Extension cables should have little effect on your ADSL link unless you are only just within the range from the exchange. From the sound of it you seem to be able to connect Ok from the main pnone socket so I don't think that is a problem.

Do make sure though that the way you have your splitter / filters arranged does not involve the ADSL part of the circuit having to pass through 2 of the splitters.

This is easy to have happen if you have installed cables yourself and have used the of the shelf ready made cables where you jaus plug in to the main socket. You can finish up putting a splitter in the master with the extension coming out of the splitter then fitting another splitter at the extension socket. Result is 2 splitters in circuit which stops the ADSL signal.

> socket socket
> | |
> Splitter Splitter ----- Router
> | |
> Phone Phone
>
> Thanks Bob
>
> --
> Bob

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
stonechat
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions.
> Do make sure though that the way you have your splitter / filters arranged does not involve the ADSL part of the circuit having to pass through 2 of the splitters.

I will make sure of this - my text illustration of my set-up didn't come through properly though.

Anyway I need to tidy the extension wiring so it comes from the box instead of the ungainly adapters. My wife doesn't likeexcessive wiiring, so I will eventually also put the CAT5 and other cables into some plastic ducting to tidy it too

--
Bob
N/A

HI My master socket is downstairs. I ran a new cable from the back of the faceplate. The bit we can connet to upstairs to another normal socket. This meant that the extension socket was unfiltered. This has my adsl router directly connected to it (not into a filter/splitter.)My adsl works fine. The downstairs master socket has a filter and a phone connected to it with the extention wired to the back (unfiltered). This firm (http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm)sells new face plates that have a mod to it so that you can have the faceplate filtered and a the other unfiltered.
stonechat
Grafter

This firm (http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm) sells new face plates that have a mod to it so that you can have the faceplate filtered and a the other unfiltered.

Thanks this seems just what I was looking for whenI was ordering the cables etc.

Bob