cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDONKEY Users / LOW ID From IP Help req.

N/A

EDONKEY Users / LOW ID From IP Help req.

Can anyone help me. I use edonkey file share p2p and these are much safer than kazaa /grokster / winmx as they are brimming with viruses and trojans. When I'm in Edonkey my downloads reach a maximum of .4k which I think is crap. I got a message warning me its cos the IP that Plusnet have assigned me gives off a "LOW ID". The problem, I think, lies with the router. ED servers cant relay back to me, hence the "LOW ID". Funny really, if I use my old 56k dialup, with another ISP, my ID rating is 7,000,000 where as Plusnet gives me 2483. So I rang tech support and they havent the foggiest what I'm talking about. Dunno why they call them tech support. Maybe I rang the local zoo.
So hopefully someone out there can help. There is an option of me setting up "ICS - Internet Connection Sharing" but I aint that clued up. I'm more clued up than tech support, but then again so is my ma. The ports than ED want to access are available in my firewall settings.

Hope you can help.....happy Christmas to you all.

Jason - kopking
3 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

RE: EDONKEY Users / LOW ID From IP Help req.

You can't really expect tech support to help you with a problem to do with eDonkey. Why should they understand something specific to one program?

But this might help explain to you what the problem is:

"Q: Why is my ID number low?
A: You get a low ID number (below 1million) if the server, and therefore other clients, can't connect to your machine. This could be because you are behind a firewall that blocks the port your client listens on, because you are using IP masquerading, or many other things.
It also means that you won't be able to transfer files with someone else with a low ID number. They can't get files from you and you can't get files from them. So if at all possible you want to allow connections on port 4662 to the machine you are running the donkey on."

-- From Edonkey 2000 guides and FAQ

It has nothing to do with what your IP address is, just whether people can connect to you or not. If you're using a router make sure you have 4662 pointing to the machine you use on your network. If your behind a firewall make sure you have 4662 open. Also make sure you have no other programs using that port.

Good luck. Smiley

N/A

> You can't really expect tech support to help you with a problem to do with eDonkey. Why should they understand something specific to one program?
>
> But this might help explain to you what the problem is:
>
> "Q: Why is my ID number low?
> A: You get a low ID number (below 1million) if the server, and therefore other clients, can't connect to your machine. This could be because you are behind a firewall that blocks the port your client listens on, because you are using IP masquerading, or many other things.
> It also means that you won't be able to transfer files with someone else with a low ID number. They can't get files from you and you can't get files from them. So if at all possible you want to allow connections on port 4662 to the machine you are running the donkey on."
>
> -- From Edonkey 2000 guides and FAQ
>
> It has nothing to do with what your IP address is, just whether people can connect to you or not. If you're using a router make sure you have 4662 pointing to the machine you use on your network. If your behind a firewall make sure you have 4662 open. Also make sure you have no other programs using that port.
>
> Good luck. Smiley
>
>

N/A

> > You can't really expect tech support to help you with a problem to do with eDonkey. Why should they understand something specific to one program?
> >
> > But this might help explain to you what the problem is:
> >
> > "Q: Why is my ID number low?
> > A: You get a low ID number (below 1million) if the server, and therefore other clients, can't connect to your machine. This could be because you are behind a firewall that blocks the port your client listens on, because you are using IP masquerading, or many other things.
> > It also means that you won't be able to transfer files with someone else with a low ID number. They can't get files from you and you can't get files from them. So if at all possible you want to allow connections on port 4662 to the machine you are running the donkey on."
> >
> > -- From Edonkey 2000 guides and FAQ
> >
> > It has nothing to do with what your IP address is, just whether people can connect to you or not. If you're using a router make sure you have 4662 pointing to the machine you use on your network. If your behind a firewall make sure you have 4662 open. Also make sure you have no other programs using that port.
> >
> > Good luck. Smiley
> >
> >
>
>

--
......................./??/
....................,/?../
.................../..../
............./??/'...'/Huh`??
........../'/.../..../......./??