cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDIT - prob with tel solved - happy bunny now

N/A

been with BT for about 2 yrs b4 i moved into this new house
ordered plusnet on the basis that it's one of the most reliable service providers

probs encountered in the last 24 hours

(1) synching - adsl light is always flickering
(2) connection cuts off

have done the following
(1) moved the comp from the study upstairs (extension) to the master bedroom (also extension) with no effect - now it's sitting in my living room (main socket)

(2) installed splitters in all 3 sockets

(3) reinstalled drivers twice now

(4) disabled zonealarm

probs still facing

(1) synching takes forever if at all - not like 30s but like for 5 mins
(2) when i try to connect to the login page, shows up web page unavailable

am on 3 light binatone with XP

don't get me wrong, when finally connected, it's g8 but this sucks when i've been with BT for 2 yrs w/o any probs

any help appreciated
23 REPLIES
N/A

The problem is with the modem not the line. If you search the forums you will see there are hundreds of post from users all having the same problems.

There is no answer to this at the moment other than get a new modem/router.

Dispite all the problems plus net have sat on the fence and refuse to answer the simple question will they replace the modems for one that works. It is a fit for the purpose issue and clearley un the Sale of goods act it isnt fir for the purpose
N/A

1/ The original 2 light Binatone modem required service pack 1. The 3 light is supposed not to require it, but I would install it anyway.
2/ Disconnect all other USB devices to reduce the possibility of it being a USB power issue (read the umpteen threads on this subject in this forum).
3/ The possibility of a poor line/filters still cannot be rules out. The network between you and PlusNet still uses BT. You are using a newly commisioned line from BT.
4/ Chuck the USB modem and get a good ethernet modem router.
N/A

The network between you and PlusNet still uses BT. You are using a newly commisioned line from BT.

Indeed. Comparing old situation with new, it makes no odds whether using PlusNet or some other ISP - I expect there'd be the same probs if still with BT for ADSL.

Chuck the USB modem and get a good ethernet modem router.

Something I'd happily second, every time !!
N/A

well.. after 1 wk... it seems to be ok.. though the line in my study still can't work though it now works in the master bedroom upstairs.. at least tt's a start though still not 100% satisfied..

gonna pop down to B&Q later to buy an extension lead to see if it will help
if not... Cry

thot plusnet was good from all the feedback and isp comparisons from adslguide !

remains to be convinced Evil
N/A

gonna pop down to B&Q later to buy an extension lead to see if it will help if not... Cry

I hope that helps you, but have seen posts in uk.telecom.broadband which suggest the typical flatter extension cable isn't suitable for ADSL and also watch out for any mains noise getting in, on the route from master socket to where the PC is.

thought plusnet was good from all the feedback and isp comparisons from adslguide ! remains to be convinced Evil

You're not comparing like with like though... If you had tried PlusNet in the property before you moved, you may have had comparable service to what you had had from BT

Since you've moved house there could be more noise on the line, some bad joints, or greater distance and therefore bigger losses between you and exchange and they're outside the control of PlusNet, aren't they ?!? Even switching to another ISP is going to make no difference to the line to the exchange.

Is the hardware the same as was being used before, if so, then it stands to reason the phone line is the major variable since your move.
N/A

well.. after 1 wk... it seems to be ok.. though the line in my study still can't work though it now works in the master bedroom upstairs

That points to wiring problems within your property or you are double filtering somewhere.
Some DIY extensions, as has been mentioned above, are not good for DSL, especially if the DIY'er has used any old cable (i have head of two runs of lighting flex being used).
Any extensions within your property, unless originally installed by BT or a professional comms person, are your own responsibility.
N/A

well.. after 1 wk... it seemsThat points to wiring problems within your property or you are double filtering somewhere.

oops - didn't mean to flame plusnet - just tt from someone who's never had any issues with BB until now - it's just frustrating, do realise that most likely it's the line more than anything else.. it's just the nitty gritty.. for eg.. setting to binatone modem to connect automatically but it seems to takes ages to do so?

can you explain what double filtering is? so that i can try and solve this issue?
cheers
N/A

to joechen:

well i have no problem setting up the plusnet package:

but there have some issues like to point it out and check again.

1/as it mention on the usb modem package need to install XP patch 1(just for own sake)
2/And this is the odd bit...i have to install the USB driver first without plugging any cable attached to the computer. E.g modem cable.
3/why not try not using the Ext cable first try use the splitter and with the cable supplyed with USB modem..

let us know the result esp all above is done and final part is what i concern the most !!

Wink

once that install..just following the proceduer and work..

oops - didn't mean to flame plusnet - just tt from someone who's never had any issues with BB until now--by joechen

i think is the USB modem is to blame Cry
N/A

can you explain what double filtering is? so that i can try and solve this issue?

Double filtering is where you have DSL filters set up incorrectly.
Typical is where you have a DSL filter at your master socket and have taken a phone extension off that and put another DSL filter on the end of the extension to run the modem. The first filter would have filtered out the DSL signal into the extension, so no signal reaches the modem.
The wiring thread in the tutorials explains this (although it does not call it double filtering)

I don't use a USB modem but the setup of the Binatone does appear to need a very specific process. I can't comment on it any more than that.
N/A

thanks...but i dont use it either...got a router thxs!
in theory should do the way i mention earily post !

but just might happened to be work at that way for me, but something you should try diff approach !

if u have not try diff approach how do u know u could't do it?so for those have
work..good for you
for those have not. thinks other solutions ,rather just follow the paper or theory....listen to people and found out from other sources and see what can you do about it
surely everythings have solutions.
:shock:
N/A

Check this site some info ere for the Ext lead.:
http://www.adslguide.org/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet

How can I extend the cable from my ADSL socket?
An RJ11 extension lead is what you need. If a BT engineer visits your premesis (some products are engineer assisted), it is possible to request up to 30m of cable to be installed from the master socket.

If your DSL is wires only, Comet sell a suitable RJ11 lead in an extension drum that is 10m long for £8.99 (+P&P)

N/A

thx guys
gonna try this rj11 extension lead

i do however have another adsl modem from my prev connection with BT
query is how tt would work with plusnet? i'm assuming it shld have standard login/password?

may give tt a shot this easter wkend.. if i can get away from the diy
N/A

thx guys
gonna try this rj11 extension lead

i do however have another adsl modem from my prev connection with BT
query is how tt would work with plusnet? i'm assuming it shld have standard login/password?

may give tt a shot this easter wkend.. if i can get away from the diy
N/A

RJ11 lead is just the correct technical term for an extension lead with BT plug & socket on the ends. Therefore, it is a normal "phone extension".

As for the redundant modem, the setup paramters would be what you currently use for PlusNet, the modem is dumb.