cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N/A

Hi all, since getting my ADSL connection recently I have been unable to send out any mail through both my personal mail plusnet account and my mail postoffice. I am using OE, I have checked the settings several times, I have deleted the account and re-set it up again. The error message I get is: "An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'Chris', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B" However I can receive mail with both these accounts ok.
I have contacted the customer support team by phone and received the less than helpful response that there is 'ADSL issues at the moment and therefore I can't help you until these are resolved. Ok well how come my other mail with other account, such as NTL, Hotmail, go off straight away, they are using ADSL. Also my parner's PC is able to send plusnet mail ok. One other this is that my mailbox doesn't appear listed on plusnet's mailbox listings, although it has been tested by plusnet and found to be ok.
Can anyone help me with this as I am now getting slightly frustrated with this problem and plusnet's responses.
Many thanks
Chris
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Bring up your account in OE and click on the servers tab. Under the Outgoing Mail Server section, do you have 'My server requires authentication' ticked. If so untick and try again.
N/A

The reason for the "less than helpful" response is that PlusNet have a major issue at the moment with the DNS servers and user authentication affecting a large number of users. It is matter of priority, repairing these before returning to individual requests. This problem has been for most of the afternoon.

Also, the service support person may have thought your problem related to the "authentication" problem they already have. If your username and pasword cannot be authenticated, you will not rx or tx mail. So, "authentication" must be fixed before your particular problem can be looked in to.

Take a look at the service status to keep updated. Once the DNS and Authentication can been resolved, raise your query again via the ticket "contact us" system. If your default email box is still not listed in the "my email settings", state this in your ticket.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The most likely cause of that error message is that the sender's email address is set incorrectly.

If you are using a Plusnet address please ensure that it ends plus.com rather than plus.net otherwise it won't work. You can change it under Tools -> Accounts -> Mail -> Properties.
N/A

Hi, none of those answers have helped I'm afraid.....
dtomlinson I'm sending the mail to myself and the e-mail address works fine on my other PC using the same settings and connection.

cqg4uzg How come all other mail using other accounts through plusnet sends ok and the PC PC which has exactly the same settings and shares the same modem/router has no problems sending mail and I'm not getting my password or user name rejected. Might I add that these accounts haven't worked on my PC since I've had plusnet.

petervaughan Not checked.....

Chris
N/A

Hi, more info which does prove it's somewhere within my OE, just setup the problematic account on my other PC and everything sent ok. I wonder whether it might be a good idea to perform a 'repair' installation of OE, running XP so it won't be too difficult.....
Chris
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Repairing OE is certainly worth a try, I'd also recommend removing and re-entering your account settings from Tools -> Accounts afterwards in case something in the registry has become corrupt relating to your mail settings.

I've also replied to your ticket as I just want to confirm a couple of details if this doesn't work.
N/A

This was just one of the many problems that I had with my new Belkin wireless modem/router both on ethernet and wireless. I use Outlook and could receive Pop3/IMAP without problems. If it's of any relevance to your situation I'll explain further if needed.
N/A

Hi, thanks dtomlinson, repairing OE, deleting the account and then putting in my correct email address seems to have cured my problem. I think you were right about the registry thing as I'd tried the correct email address several times before. Strange thing though is that with my other mail accounts, NTL, Hotmail, I've always put in a false mailing address to put off spam, I hope this doesn't mean I will be overwelmed now with loads of junk mail.
Thanks again,
Chris