Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E. Mail

cookie141
Grafter

E. Mail

Hi guys
I use Outlook Express for my mail and newsgroups.
Since I have gone onto adsl through plus.net I am no longer able to send mail or connect to my newsgroups which I did with Freeserve my previous isp

I can receive mail though namely through my Hotmail and freeserve accounts.
My mail I send is thrown back with error messages and also I cannot connect to my newsgroups
Has anybody has a solution to the prob
Cheers Cookie
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: E. Mail

> Since I have gone onto adsl through plus.net I
> am no longer able to send mail or connect to my
> newsgroups which I did with Freeserve my
> previous isp

Few (if any) ISPs allow access to SMTP and NNTP servers from another's IP address in order to prevent spamming. POP3 servers work differently so access to them from an external domain is usually allowed, hence the ability to retrieve your mail but not post.

> Has anybody has a solution to the prob

Only to use the Plusnet servers, I'm afraid.

Alan
cookie141
Grafter

> > Since I have gone onto adsl through plus.net I
> > am no longer able to send mail or connect to my
> > newsgroups which I did with Freeserve my
> > previous isp
>
> Few (if any) ISPs allow access to SMTP and NNTP servers from another's IP address in order to prevent spamming. POP3 servers work differently so access to them from an external domain is usually allowed, hence the ability to retrieve your mail but not post.
>
> > Has anybody has a solution to the prob
>
> Only to use the Plusnet servers, I'm afraid.
>
> Alan

Cheers Alan for the reply
Gone through Google to access my Newsgroups

--
Cookie
N/A

hi, you can still send email from your other isp's accounts, you just need to use the plus net smtp server.
to do this access your accounts in Outlook (Tools, accounts) this should bring up a list of your mail and newsgroup accounts. edi tthe properties for your mail account, and go to the servers page. In the "Outgoing Mail (smtp)" type in "Relay.plus.net" without the quotations.

this will allow you to use Plus.net's SMTP server to send your Email.

hope this helps.

Scott Cross.

N/A

>
> I can receive mail though namely through my Hotmail and freeserve accounts.
> My mail I send is thrown back with error messages and also I cannot connect to my newsgroups
> Has anybody has a solution to the prob

Which news server are you using? It should be set to usenet.plus.net for Plus Net.

Take a look at http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=11 for details or http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?TwJqmgyD4Hg%3D for more details

regards
Ian
cookie141
Grafter

thanks Ian
Can now retrieve my groups and send mail
cookie