cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamode" PCI modem stopping pc from working.

N/A

Evil
After a long wait for ADSL, I installed the plus net Dynamode modem only to find that my pc would not power up. After several conversations with HP support and +net, we finally changed the modem (swapped for another same model) only to find that it still stops my pc from working. It's an HP brio running windows 98 SE. After lots of frustrating messing about, I have finally decided to give up on broadband as I was paying for a service I couldn;t get and was having to disconnect the modem and dial up on a pay service. Has anyone else had this problem?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Did you try connecting the modem through a powered USB hub?

Tim
N/A

No, it was an internal modem, which we tried in various slots.
N/A

Oops, I just saw that it says PCI modem in the subject of your post. Rather than giving up on broadband, why don't you try a USB modem or a router?

Tim
N/A

Yes I suppose I could try a USB modem, but to be quite honest with you I have had enough! I have already spent lots of money on setting up this monster, I'm not prepared to spend any more. What I was really interested in was had any one else experienced this problem. It's a real pain when both HP and Plus say they are not to blame.
N/A

I can understand your frustration, but it is worth persevering for the speed of ADSL. If the PCI modem is less than 12 months old, you may be able to convince PlusNet to swap it for a USB one.

Tim
N/A

Can you borrow another modem from someone else to try, it must be worth keeping your ADSL even if you have to buy a new one to make it work.
I've heard good things about the Speedtouch range of PCI & USB modems a freind of mine has the Speedtouch USB 330 & loves it, he's with Plusnet.
I'm using the same card as you with no problems.
Speedtouch!
N/A

Hi,
I agree dont give up on broadband.
It sounds like you PCI modem is drawing too much current and stopping
your pc from booting.
Try and exchange it for a USB modem but with this you'll also need
a USB 1.1 powered hub(about £15) because this modem will draw even more current.
This is of couse assuming your pc has USB ports.
If you went for this option ensure you have all the updates to your W98 operating system.
If you were able to exchange it for a router then this would be self powered
but you will have to buy a network card to fit in your pc (similar to the PCI card)
This again around £15 plus.
The router will put less strain on your computers processor overall and this
might be your best bet if your pc has a small processor.
The router is a bit more difficult to set up though but there are lots of people
here who are able to help.
AL.
PS. sorry only just seen your last post.
Community Veteran

If you were able to exchange it for a router then this would be self powered
but you will have to buy a network card to fit in your pc (similar to the PCI card)
This again around £15 plus.

A network card can be had for £10 from the dearest shop of them all (PC World!)

Thomas
N/A

Thanks all of you for your help. I'll reconsider my options and let you know if I get any success! :lol:
N/A

Take a look over at www.ebuyer.com too.
Community Veteran

...if you want to pay for your items but not get them delivered, of have them delivered but then find they're broken and you can't return them.

Thomas
N/A

bad experience with ebuyer kuglin?