cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4

zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4

I am thinking of changing to the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4 ADSL Ethernet router + 4 port switch + VPN + rules firewall. Can anyone tell what a "rules firewall" is? Can I safely run a permanently connected adsl system without needing something like Zonealarm?. Any comments or suggestions welcome! :?:
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4

I have checked the spec of the router and can't find any mention of 'rules filrewall'. Where did you see this mentioned? There is also no specific support for VPN, it just supports VPN passthrough which most routers do anyway.

The router only has a NAT (network address translation) firewall according to the manual which basically just blocks all incoming connection attempts but allows all outgoing connection attempts. As such you must still use a software firewall to stop trojans and virues trying to 'phone home' or connect to other PCs to infect them from your PC.

It does not have the more common SPI (Stateful packet inspection) firewall which is what I would consider a rules based firewall that allow you to control both incoming and outgoing connections by setting up rules.

So your description does not actually match the product I have checked: http://www.dynamode.net/ADSL/R-ADSL-C4.htm
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4

Community Veteran

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4

Scans description of the device's features is wrong. It does not have a rules based firewall, only NAT. If it did, clicking on the link to see the product description would show this but it does not.

For a similar price, features and a proper SPI firewall try the ebuyer origi ASR8400.

A more expensive option is the Netgear DG834
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4

Thanks for the info... the ASR8400 looks good! Cheesy