cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic and Static IP Adresses

screwtop

Hi

I've been with PlusNet Plus for about 3 weeks. I'm perfectly happy with the service.

One question so far. I notice that Premier has a Static IP Address whereas Plus has a Dynamic one. Without being too technical, what is the advantage of the Static variety? Sad
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can run your own webserver and mail server from a PC you have connected to your ADSL. You can also do VPN to/from other sstems/networks. Having a dynamic IP that changes each time you connect means those services can't easily be setup.

Other than that there is no real difference from a security point of view as you can be found whichever type of IP your have.
screwtop

Hi

You can run your own webserver and mail server from a PC you have connected to your ADSL. You can also do VPN to/from other sstems/networks.

Thanks for the reply.

As I haven't a clue what it means I don't suppose I'll miss it. Cheesy

Bill
N/A

If it halps, you may need a static IP address for internet gaming as sometimes you need a fixed address for people to be able to connect.
N/A

Static / Dynamic IP will not change the way games work with regards to connecting to you.

The only differance static has is that between ADSL disconnects, you get the same IP when you reconnect.

Once connected, the method a game uses to connect to you does not change.
N/A

Except if you have a static IP address I can connect directly with you and we can compete, without having to go onto a site!
N/A

This can quite easily be done with a dynamic IP address as well.

Using dynamic DNS sites, or DYDNS services, you can connect without the need to work out what the other persons address is.
N/A

I was merely ofering a response to the user, I do not want to get into an indepth discussion on the technicalities. Just that many ISP's offer static IP's to suit users who want to download large amounts, and do online gaming and use fiel transfer or remote connections. I assume they know what they are talking about.