cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dwindling Bandwidth

N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

I've had my ADSL (2Mb Premier) since 2nd September, which was roughly when my exchange was upgraded to ADSL. On the first couple of days I was getting well over 200KB/Sec, but for the past two or three days, I've been lucky to get much more than 60KB/Sec.

I went a bit crazy with the Bittorrent's due to novelty value, and have accumulated a large amount of data over the first few days (Let's say <>30GB for talking's sake). Is my account now throttled down to make sure I don't do the same for the rest of the month, or is should I be talking to Plusnet about my line quality?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dwindling Bandwidth

That is not excessive downloading so PN will not have throttled your connection.

You do need to raise a ticket to make sure you have not been put on a 512Kbs profile by mistake which would limit ALL downloading to that speed. I doubt you have a line problem if you have managed to download 30GB in that short time.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Not sure how you are measuring the 60k - bittorrent downloads rarely download at significant speeds - have you tried the Plusnet speed test - that will give you a more accurate measure.

Cheers
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Yeah, the speeds I mentioned were derived from the Plusnet Speed Checker. Around 2000kbps the first few days, and now hanging around the 600 mark the past few days.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Hmmm... I had been told I was updated to 1Mbps and had the speed test results to prove it. However, now I am fixed around the 160Kbps mark. Seems like there are problems somewhere along the line.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Try the BT Speed Test

It does not use the Plus net network and will help determine where the problem lies.

Post the results back here.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Try the BT Speed Test

It does not use the Plus net network and will help determine where the problem lies.

Post the results back here.

375kbps. Sad

I did the Plusnet one again, and it measured 387 so they're both very similar.

I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but got the same type of figures. Something's definitely changed for the worse since around the 7th Sep.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

If the BT test is showing similar rates then the problem lies with BT. You are most likely seeing the effects of exchange contention. An issue that is becoming more prevalent since the mass upgrade programme commenced.

Check your exchange status here though BT are renowned for not updating that info in a timely manner.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

I'm really surprised it's contention (although that certainly makes sense). I'm out in a small village just outside Ayr on the West coast of Scotland, which is full of retired miners. I wouldn't expect many of them to have interest in using broadband! :lol:

I'll raise a ticket with plusnet anyway and see if they can get some answers from BT.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Well, over 2 weeks later and I still have only 300kbps downstream whilst paying for a 2Mb service. Plusnet have raised a case with BT but still no action taken to improve things.

My friend who lives round the corner had crap speeds from day one using Plusnet, and eventually gave up with them and moved to F2S. As soon as he did, guess what? 2MB straight away. This was after plusnet blamed BT till they were blue in the face.

What's the problem Plusnet? :x
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

hi m8 had the same prob done bt speed test & pn speed test was getting bout
10kbps to 300kbps i got a network card n laptop & belkin wireless router all i done was move my router to another room (with phone socket) hay presto now getting speeds 1.8mbps
hope this helps
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

Tried the obvious things like change the filter, remove filter and plug straight into wall etc. Nothing improves. Sad
N/A

looks like were all in the same boat!!

ive raised a ticket with plusnet about crappy speeds. they give u a list of things to do scan for a virus and all that $hit ive done the bt speed test 4-500k for a 2mb connection is crap. done the speed test on plusnet's speed test the same tried maybe 10 x i think the highest i got was about 1200k when my 2mb was activated i was at 18-1900. it makes you think maybe they do cap our speeds.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

ive done the bt speed test 4-500k for a 2mb connection

Hi,

This proves without doubt that it is nothing to do with Plus Net capping.

When you run the BT speed test you do not go anywhere near the Plus Net network. You are testing the BT side of things only.

A poor speed result using that test would put the problem well into BT's court.

It is highly likely that you are seeing the result of exchange contention or a fault with their kit.

Untill they sort out capacity at their exchanges we will continue to see problems such as this.
N/A

Dwindling Bandwidth

So dont you think plusnet should speak up for their customers at the end of the day. no customers no company..you cant say all the ppl talking about this in the forums are on the same exchange. something has to be said and done.