cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual ADSL Setup.

CRTC
Grafter

Dual ADSL Setup.

I've got Broadband working on one machine in a bedroom. However there is another machine downstairs which I've bought a Sureconnect 9000 (US Robotics) ADSL modem for. I've got it setup on the downstairs machine without problems.

However, before trying to connect to PlusNET with it, the utility they supply tries to see if ADSL is available, but it keeps saying it isn't. It is clearly available since the machine upstairs works. It's connecting using the USB ADSL Starter Pack.

I've got microfilters setup on all the telephone sockets, but it doesn't work. I've even tried removing them, and left just the Sureconnect 9000 connected without the splitter and telephones connected, but without success.

Has anyone tried this setup before? I.e. two machines with seperate modems, but connecting to one ISP account (in this case PlusNET). Obviously, I've not been trying at the same time? I have also tried using the A360 modem from the starter pack on this PC and it does work, so not quite sure where the problem is... it seems to be the modem, but I can't confirm this. Anybody have any ideas?
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Dual ADSL Setup.

Is your downstairs machine on the same line as your upstairs machine?
CRTC
Grafter

> Is your downstairs machine on the same line as your upstairs machine?

they're both running from seperate extensions which are coming out of the master socket. The upstairs (call it P3) one seems fine, but the one downstairs (let's call it P2) doesn't even acknowledge the ADSL link being available.

The US Robotics utility says it can't establish a link with DSLAM hardware at the exchange, while the starter pack by plusnet works fine on P2. I've disabled all firewall and anti-virus s/w, and taken all the phones out the sockets, but still no joy. So, it seems to be the modem. Any other ideas?? I might just have to ask for another starter pack!! Wink
Community Veteran

> > Is your downstairs machine on the same line as your upstairs machine?
>
> they're both running from seperate extensions which are coming out of the master socket. The upstairs (call it P3) one seems fine, but the one downstairs (let's call it P2) doesn't even acknowledge the ADSL link being available.
>
> The US Robotics utility says it can't establish a link with DSLAM hardware at the exchange, while the starter pack by plusnet works fine on P2. I've disabled all firewall and anti-virus s/w, and taken all the phones out the sockets, but still no joy. So, it seems to be the modem. Any other ideas?? I might just have to ask for another starter pack!! Wink

You can't run 2 ADSL modems on the same line at the same time.
To get both machines accessing the internet you will have to use either a router with a couple of ports out of it or a router and a hub or network cards in each machine then enable the internet sharing facility within windows on each machine.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
CRTC
Grafter

> > > Is your downstairs machine on the same line as your upstairs machine?
> >
> > they're both running from seperate extensions which are coming out of the master socket. The upstairs (call it P3) one seems fine, but the one downstairs (let's call it P2) doesn't even acknowledge the ADSL link being available.
> >
> > The US Robotics utility says it can't establish a link with DSLAM hardware at the exchange, while the starter pack by plusnet works fine on P2. I've disabled all firewall and anti-virus s/w, and taken all the phones out the sockets, but still no joy. So, it seems to be the modem. Any other ideas?? I might just have to ask for another starter pack!! Wink
>
> You can't run 2 ADSL modems on the same line at the same time.
> To get both machines accessing the internet you will have to use either a router with a couple of ports out of it or a router and a hub or network cards in each machine then enable the internet sharing facility within windows on each machine.
>
>
>
> --
> Regards
> John
> http://www.hmrg.co.uk

That's the point. I realise that. I wasn't running them at the same time. I've always got one or the other powered off. It's just that the P2 machine and the US Robotics modem doesn't even acknowledge the ADSL link being available. It says it cannot connect to the DSLAM in the exchange. It is clearly working though, and available since the P3 machine can connect.

Using the starter pack modem on the P2 machine works, so I'm just wondering whether the US Robotics modem isn't setup or sutiable for UK ADSL. I've checked and configured the settings in the same way as on the working ADSL connection.
Community Veteran

> That's the point. I realise that. I wasn't running them at the same time. I've always got one or the other powered off. It's just that the P2 machine and the US Robotics modem doesn't even acknowledge the ADSL link being available. It says it cannot connect to the DSLAM in the exchange. It is clearly working though, and available since the P3 machine can connect.
>
> Using the starter pack modem on the P2 machine works, so I'm just wondering whether the US Robotics modem isn't setup or sutiable for UK ADSL. I've checked and configured the settings in the same way as on the working ADSL connection.

Ok sorry but I had missed the point and thought that you were trying to run them both at the same time.
From what you have described I would say that you have a faulty / non compatible ADSL modem with the US Robotics one.
You could perhaps see if a friend can let you try one to test and prove it.

If you are anywhere near Heywood Lancs then I could lend you one to try.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

You cant have 2 adsl unit plugged in at the same time even if you only use one the other must be unplugged or it will stop the other working

>
> > That's the point. I realise that. I wasn't running them at the same time. I've always got one or the other powered off. It's just that the P2 machine and the US Robotics modem doesn't even acknowledge the ADSL link being available. It says it cannot connect to the DSLAM in the exchange. It is clearly working though, and available since the P3 machine can connect.
> >
> > Using the starter pack modem on the P2 machine works, so I'm just wondering whether the US Robotics modem isn't setup or sutiable for UK ADSL. I've checked and configured the settings in the same way as on the working ADSL connection.
>
> Ok sorry but I had missed the point and thought that you were trying to run them both at the same time.
> From what you have described I would say that you have a faulty / non compatible ADSL modem with the US Robotics one.
> You could perhaps see if a friend can let you try one to test and prove it.
>
> If you are anywhere near Heywood Lancs then I could lend you one to try.
>
> --
> Regards
> John
> http://www.hmrg.co.uk

CRTC
Grafter

> You cant have 2 adsl unit plugged in at the same time even if you only use one the other must be unplugged or it will stop the other working
>
>
Thanks to everyone who replied, but Andrew you hit the nail on the head. That was precisely what the problem was. The P3 machine, even though powered off, was stopping the P2 machine from connecting. Having disconnected the modem on the P3 machine from the phone line resolved the problem, and I'm now writing this from the P2 machine. Thanks Andrew - the solution proved to be very simple - Just take the plug out!

Cheers

Imran