cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping Connections

N/A

Dropping Connections

I've been with plus.net for about a week now and I'm regularly (but not always) suffering from the connection dropping... (it just did it as I speak... spooky !)... I can immediately reconnect but it can happen as much as 20 times an hour and makes the service unworkable. It's been bad the past 3 days, but I stayed connected for 11 hours on Sunday ?...

I've disconnected all other telephone equipment and left only my binatone (plus.net supplied) modem plugged in through the splitter to no avail... I've also tried a different splitter with no joy...

Other info which might help. The phone extension is a spur off an existing socket in the house... will the matter... the PC I'm using is a few years old and I wonder if it could be something to do with the power supply being via USB rather than AC ?...

When the connection drops the link status light goes out and then flashes green with a status of training and eventually stabilises back to green...

I ran the speed test and got a 428Mb rating which isn't great...

Not sure what else to check, but I'm getting quite peed off with it, so any help appreciated... Just dropped again !!... that's twice in 2 minutes... HELP !
9 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Dropping Connections

This does sound like a classic USB power issue.

Have you checked out the fault finding tutorial in the tutorial forum?

It would be helpful to know what version of Windows you are running and what motherboard you It have in your PC as well...

Cheers,

Ian
N/A

Dropping Connections

I've tried all of the tutorial other than plugging into the main phone socket (as I don't know which one is the main one and don't have a long enough extension lead handy !)

Motherboard : Board: Micro-Star Inc. MS-6309 1.0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 01/25/02

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

Processor :
1000 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
N/A

Dropping Connections

eglons, I've just had pretty much the same problem......and (I think) have managed to cure it.

Does your motherboard use the VIA chipset - if it does you need the drivers from www.viaarena.com, they are the 4 in 1 Hyperion drivers. When you install them make sure that they actually go on. I installed and it reached 100% and then the computer froze - I assumed because it had reached full install that as soon as I restarted they were on - they weren't. If your computer does this install the drivers from 'safe mode'. Also I downloaded a patch for usb on Win ME from either www.usbman.com that pointed you in the direction to get them.

Anyhow by the time I'd installed both these and restarted, I connected up - it lost connection once and then hey presto its been fine ever since.

Hope this helps (and makes sense - I'm not the best of 'techie' persons!!)

Best wishes

Tracey.
N/A

Dropping Connections

Does your motherboard use the VIA chipset - if it does you need the drivers from www.viaarena.com, they are the 4 in 1 Hyperion driv

How do I tell this ?
N/A

Dropping Connections

you can download the user manual from the Microstar website
here
this should contain details of the chipset, I'm 90% sure it's a via chipset
which would account for your troubles. You could try the driver updates
as previously mentioned, if this fails then you could try a powered
USB 1.1 hub (with the largest looking transformer you can find)
N/A

Dropping Connections

OK... I've got a powered USB hub and updated the 4in1 drivers and it's still dropping the connection.

I've now plugged a long extension lead into the master socket and tried that. The connection seems OK, the speed is 481Kbs which looks OK... so it may be that I have an internal wiring problem (the house not me !)... Is there anything I can do to test where the fault is ?
N/A

Dropping Connections

Well so much for the wiring, the connection has continued to periodically go into death mode and force redials every 5 minutes. After a lot of investigation I think I've proved what's causing it, but fixing it is another matter...

If I look in the system event log I can see audits being run on a regular basis and it looks like a failure audit occurs at exactly the time the connection is dropped.

The content of the failure audit record is pasted below...

==================================
Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 30/11/2003
Time: 18:30:48
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: PACKARD-BELL
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.
=============================

The machine has two network cards in it, one 56k Modem and the ADSL external USB modem... I am not networked to anyone else although I am expecting an ethernet modem soon so I will need one of the network cards to allow me to connect to it. I'm running XP Pro.

I've no idea what is causing the audit event, but I'm pretty confident that this is what's causing the connection to drop... Any help from someone with a better idea on the internals of XP greatly appreciated
N/A

Dropping Connections

Just to say, I've now upgraded to an ethernet modem and life is a breeze, no dropped connections constant speeds, and an easy option to network the connection. Plusnet should offer an ethernet modem as part of the starter pack for an extra £30 and everyone should take it !

P.S. Do I own the Binatone piece of rubbish or is it plusnet's ?... the former will result in an immediate Ebay listing !
N/A

Dropping Connections

I believe as long as you fully paid for the modem up front, then it's your property. Otherwise, if you were paying slightly more per month (to cover the cost of the modem) I believe it remains the propery of PlusNet until 12 months is up.