cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping Connection

N/A

Dropping Connection

for the past 3 weeks my connection has been dropping i have spoke to plusnet on numerous times, changed my filters changed my hardware, had bt out to check the line (no fault) im at the end of my tether HELP!
9 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

Dropping Connection

I had similar prob, I use USB modem & changing it to a different USB socket on my PC gave an instant cure
Grimbo
Grafter

Dropping Connection

If you have a look, loads of people are having this problem.

I suspect it is similar to the problem Plusnet had a few years ago when their speed turned to crap and they had to install a new pipe...

They denied there was a problem for 2 or 3 months until so many people were affected they had to act.

Just wait, the penny will drop eventually that not everyone has suddenly developed faulty equipment at the same time!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Dropping Connection

It's probably your exchange, I know mine is running less than the best at the moment. So have a Look Here
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

disconnects

its not my exchange, when i say disconnects its every 30 seconds,
plusnet now seem to think its DOS attacks, but i have no reports of this on my firewall. its a router not usb, and i have now tried 6 devices including a CISCO PIX firewall, all with no results Sad hopefully the change of IP may resolve it
N/A

Dropping Connection

if it is a dos attack I'm very supprised the PIX hasnt reported it. hope you get it sorted.
N/A

Dropping Connection

yeah , but my pix had pre V12.03 firmware, so wouldnt pick up smurf attacks, so im assuming (BIG assumtion Wink ) that it could be this
N/A

Update

ok i now know its a DOS attack, i hooked up an internal adsl modem to my pc and ran blackice - fragmented UDP packets every 2-3 seconds from almost 50 hosts so its a DDOS attack,
Community Veteran

Dropping Connection

If this has been happening for 3 weeks, you have a good case for plusnet assigning you a new static IP. I see this mentioned above so has this already happened? If so you have been given another dud or they have found you again. If you have any tickets open on this I suggest you report your findings and ask if your IP can be changed (possible again) due to DDoS activity on your IP.

It may complicate things if you have an IP block or use multiple static IPs but getting a new IP sounds like a way to prove if that is the cause.

Another possibility (if your IP has already been changed once) is they are finding you with username.plus.com. Have you had your reverse DNS change to the IP rather than your name. Makes it harder to find you then (but not mpossible).

Also I assume the remote systems are not plusnet assigned IPs. If they are plusnet IPs, then the abuse team will want to know about the IPs in question. Talk to CS about this.
N/A

Dropping Connection

plusnet are in the process of changing my ip, and i have requested that my reverse dns be changed. - so hopefully this will stop it