cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped connections

N/A

Dropped connections

Is it normal to experience dropped connections from time to time. We have just gone broadband with plusnet and are with BT. It has been particularly bad this weekend 17th/18th Sept
10 REPLIES
N/A

Dropped connections

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

It is not normal to get disconnects.

These can be caused by a number of things, such as faulty internal wiring, dodgy filters, some Dect phones or electrical (RF) interferance and the weather. In addition, if your phone line has a problem or if you have been provisioned by BT at a speed your line cannot handle you can also experience disconnects.

First off check out this Tutorial and then this one for further advice and guidance.

If your modem or router can provide line stats, that would also be useful.

What product and speed are you on?
N/A

Dropped connections

Mark,

Thanks for your response, we are working through the list of possibilities your link suggested. In response to your question we are on Broadband Plus and are using a Netgear DG834Gv2 router.

I notice another user of the forum (on 28th Oct) has had similar problems with dropped connections with the same router so I'll try the firmware upgrade he's pointed out - something else to eliminate. I still suspect the BT line though!

Roy
Community Veteran

Dropped connections

If the ADSL light is going off on your router then its very definately a line problem.
The ADSL lamp indicates that your router has established synchronization with the equipement in the BT exchange.
Once you have worked through all the checks in the links shown by Mark and still have the problem then raise a Link:Contact us ticket so that Plusnet can get it investigated.
N/A

Dropped connections

We appear to lose connection when the router "internet" LED goes from green to orange during a logon session. The Netgear manual indicates Orange to mean "Indicates ADSL training". The LED returns to green after 10 secs or so but connection has been lost by then...
N/A

Dropped connections

Hi again Roy,

It would appear that the issue here is down to your line.

As John has suggested above, and providing you have carried out all the checks and are happy that the problem is not with your equipment, then raise a ticket.

You may see a warning regarding a possible BT charge. If you have carried out all the checks requested then this will not be an issue.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

Dropped connections

Mark,

Today I've upgraded my Netgear DG834Gv2 firmware to v3.10.25 (new release on 27th Oct) - two upgrades from v1.05.00. This version claims to log ADSL loss of sync events.

I'll be watching and waiting...

:shock:
N/A

Dropped connections

have you guys noticed better ADSL connections since upgrading your router firmware ?

I am on a new DG834Gv2 and am losing my ADSL connection randomly, longest connection in the last 10 days since I changed to this router has been about 6 hours.

Was on a wired DG834 for years without any issue at all and havent changed anything else at home on the PCs or the phone lines.

Any views/ideas/thoughts would be really appreciated I am pulling my hair out!

Andrew
N/A

Dropped connections

I've been using a Netgear DG834 since joining PlusNet in August. I didn't know that frequent disconnections and reconnections were abnormal. On Saturday morning the modem just died in the thing. I tried flashing it back to 2.10.22 firmware from the 3.01.25 I'd tried three times to get reliably working. I say reliably because the second time I upgraded it the blasted thing corrupted my password - it was only when I overtyped it in desperation, having seen the failure to log in, that I got the link up again.

No, PlusNet support who I raised a ticket with, I wasn't thick, just the victim of a piece of cack equipment.

Netgear? Not-any-more-Gear. Evil LinkSys WAG54GS. Don't need the wireless side so it's switched off.
N/A

Dropped connections

Good news for me since I upgraded the firmware at the end of October. The number of dropped sessions decreased substantially. Initially to about 2 a week and now no dropped sessions since 23rd November (as far back as the Netgear logging goes). I can't be sure that the firmware upgrade was the answer but it appears to have helped. It could be that BT have also been doing local area upgrades and I've benefitted from them. A couple of friends in my area have had BT looking at their lines but I never got that far.

A word of caution on the upgrades - if you have more than one upgrade to do do them one at a time and test connectivity is still ok after each one. Another friend jumped from ver 1 to 3 in one leap and never got his Netgear DG834G working again - lost all connectivity to the net. He's just arranged for Netgear to deliver a replacement as it's still under warrenty!

Cheesy
N/A

Dropped connections

Forgot to mention...thanks to Mark and the other moderators for their helpful suggestions in fault finding.