Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped Connections

chrisco
Grafter

Dropped Connections

Hi All,

I have been getting random disconnects since last Fri & have a ticket pending, waiting for BT to carry out further investigations on my line as they have established a fault but can't seem to solve it at present......but today other strange things have been happening. Can one of the bright sparks or any other kind people give me a hand with this problem: if I connect to the net & then launch Outlook Express it knocks out the connection immediately. If I launch OE first & then connect to the net it doesn't affect the connection :?: Another thing that puzzles me I have selected the option to redial if the line is dropped & this doesn't happen.
I have checked my equipment as far as I can & all seems to working, I have a Voyager 105. Any ideas why all this should be happening?

Regards, Chris
8 REPLIES
chrisco
Grafter

Dropped Connections

Has no-one experienced this, please help if you have Sad

Chris
N/A

Dropped Connections

Hi Chris. The first thing you should tell us is that you have checked your computer for virus infection, and that as you are using a modem you have a working software firewall in place, to detect outgoing spyware infections if nothing else. A sweep through your system with at least two spyware detector programs susch as SpyBot and AdAware can help to allay any fears that you system's memory is being leeched away. The OE issue suggests the possibility of low available memory...and if you're still using OE then may I suggest you investigate the less vulnerable alternatives such as Thunderbird?

The old advice of doing a hard disk cleanup and disk check are also worth doing to get them out of the equation.
chrisco
Grafter

Dropped Connections

Thanks for the reply Andrew, I certainly do have an AV on my machine & I religiously run AdAware, Spybot & Spyware blaster & had just carried out a defrag, disk check & a clean up in general prior to my post. I was interested in your remark re memory leeching & I have not long re-installed Zone Alarm v6 & occassionally am getting low virtual memory warnings - I have 1gb ram. A few months ago I uninstalled ZA for the very reason it is a memory hog but had it on good authority that Zone Labs had a fix for the problems that some users were experiencing so like an idiot I re- installed the "fixed version". I have checked in task manager whilst writing this & the process vsmon.exe - which is the true vector monitor that ZA uses is using 446,580k of my memory!!
Evil
Now, the questions are:

Could this be the cause of my woes.
Can you or any one recommend a software firewall that will do a good job without eating so much memory.

I only use my machine for surfing the net, word processing & email so I would think the amount of ram is ample :?:

Suggestions gratefully received Cheesy

Chris
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Dropped Connections

Might want to check your exchange Smiley (tis the cause in my case)

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
N/A

Dropped Connections

Ha ha! It can't be helping. Try the old 5.5.094 free version. Otherwise, I still haven't had chance to try it but I've heard Net Veda Safety Net is one of very few remaining firewalls that are free for private use. The amount of RAM is fine, it's the memory management that's to pot. Oh, and if your System Tray is full of icons, try getting rid of those you don't ned to see. Even XP can run out of steam with too many chiggers.

You've got 1 gig of RAM and you're using Outlook Express? Ick. Have a look at Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Dropped Connections

OI!.... leave OE alone! (uses ALOT less resources than ANY other client I've ever tried, including thunderbird!)
N/A

Dropped Connections

Apologies, mods, for straying off-topic.

Resources, I'll grant you. Unpatched vulnerabilities...

OE6 - 6 out of 20 unpatched, one or more moderately critical.
TB1.x - 1 out of 8 unpatched, rated not critical.

...according to Secunia, this evening.

Once bankandofficeclg gets the memory leak fixed, resources will not be a problem! Please no, not the Moz vs MS flamewars again!
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Dropped Connections

Apologies, mods, for straying off-topic.

Resources, I'll grant you. Unpatched vulnerabilities...

OE6 - 6 out of 20 unpatched, one or more moderately critical.
TB1.x - 1 out of 8 unpatched, rated not critical.

...according to Secunia, this evening.

I've got several reasons why those mean absolutely squat, however ...

Once bankandofficeclg gets the memory leak fixed, resources will not be a problem! Please no, not the Moz vs MS flamewars again!

.... I've spent way too much time in alt.comp.freeware to get into another one of those here Wink