cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver installation

N/A

Driver installation

Hi,
I have been trying for some days to install my ADSL modem, so far with out success. the problem seems to be with windows ME. Has anyone else had similar problems? I cant be the 1st ME user to join plusnet!!
Thanks for any help, Jim.
7 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

RE: Driver installation

> Hi,
> I have been trying for some days to install my ADSL modem, so far with out success. the problem seems to be with windows ME. Has anyone else had similar problems? I cant be the 1st ME user to join plusnet!!
> Thanks for any help, Jim.

hi jim
is it a USB modem you are installing? if it is i too had a problem installing the drivers for this with ME, it would go most of the way through, then crash out, or would seem to install completely but there was know short-cut to wiptech on the desk-top as stated in the directions. what i did was un-install the drivers from the add/remove icon re-boot,dis-abled my anti-virus and re-installed the drivers re-booted and it worked fine. hope this helps
malc

N/A

Hi, doggo.
Yes, it a USB modem but the problem is it gets into a loop, asking me to install modem during driver installation. It runs through the process then asks me to install the modem again and so on and so on. I am not running any anti-virus soft ware!
Thanks Jim.
--
N/A

I know when setting my USB modem up, I have to have it unpluged from the USB port when I start to load the drivers. Just wondering if you have it pluged into your USB port when you start to load the drivers, if so try it with it unpluged, if you have it unpluged when you start, then just ignore this. Also it would help if you said the make and model of the modem.
N/A

> I know when setting my USB modem up, I have to have it unpluged from the USB port when I start to load the drivers. Just wondering if you have it pluged into your USB port when you start to load the drivers, if so try it with it unpluged, if you have it unpluged when you start, then just ignore this. Also it would help if you said the make and model of the modem.

I had the same problem on a windows XP home system. Would not create the wip tech icon. Phoned customer support who told me to dissable all startup items using MSCONFIG. They would not wait whilst i talkedto hen and tried it. Just told me to phone back. Very good customer service. Phoned back when it still did not work they could not give me any more help.

Tried various solutions but none worked. Eventually ended up reinstalling windows. So i had a clean system. Modem then installed fine and created the wiptech icon. Since then never had a dropped connection and everthing works fine. I get very good downloads.

Hope this helps
ps~ good job i had a backup of my files.

Brickinit
Grafter

felter is right in saying not to connect your modem modem untill asked, i seem to remember my settup asking me to connect the modem on 2 occations, it turned out i was to hasty in connecting it, you might try letting your machine run for a bit longer after it asks for you to connect to allow it to finish what it is doing.
it would also be a good idea to stop any other progs. running either like david says using msconfig/startup or control-alt-delete,and close down un-needed running programs(keep explorer running!)
malc

> > I know when setting my USB modem up, I have to have it unpluged from the USB port when I start to load the drivers. Just wondering if you have it pluged into your USB port when you start to load the drivers, if so try it with it unpluged, if you have it unpluged when you start, then just ignore this. Also it would help if you said the make and model of the modem.
>
> I had the same problem on a windows XP home system. Would not create the wip tech icon. Phoned customer support who told me to dissable all startup items using MSCONFIG. They would not wait whilst i talkedto hen and tried it. Just told me to phone back. Very good customer service. Phoned back when it still did not work they could not give me any more help.
>
> Tried various solutions but none worked. Eventually ended up reinstalling windows. So i had a clean system. Modem then installed fine and created the wiptech icon. Since then never had a dropped connection and everthing works fine. I get very good downloads.
>
>
> Hope this helps
> ps~ good job i had a backup of my files.
>
>

N/A

I had the same problem on a windows XP home system. Would not create the wip tech icon. Phoned customer support who told me to dissable all startup items using MSCONFIG. They would not wait whilst i talkedto hen and tried it. Just told me to phone back. Very good customer service. Phoned back when it still did not work they could not give me any more help.
>
I had exactly the same prob, no help from plusnet but after a full system restore everything installed fine!!

N/A

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help. It now appears I was sent a different usb modem from the A360 I was supposed to get, even though it was in an A360 box. It did however have drivers for the A360 which I have been told will not work with the modem I received. Plusnet have been informed and I am waiting for a reply. I will keep you posted, thanks anain for the help.
Jim.