cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Vigor 2600Gi with ISDN Backup

grimme
Grafter

Currently have Connect Biz on an ISDN line, but looking at the possibility of getting a separate line for ADSL and getting the above router.

Problem I have with ADSL is that there are no SLA's for ADSL (as far as I'm aware), so I need to have a fallback in case connection is down.

Does anyone know if the Draytek is supported on PlusNet for Automatic ISDN fallback when the ADSL goes walkabout and how this is achieved?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
wandelaar
Grafter

Hi.

Been there done that..

I have a Draytek 2600 (older model) and used to use it on ISDN (very successfully) before 'upgrading' the line to ADSL initially at 512k , lately 1Mb. Works fine.

I also added a second line for work purposes which is ISDN when I changed primary line to ADSL because obviously I lost the '3' phone numbers available on home highway.

I have the router connected to the ADSL on the main phone line and the ISDN port connected to requesite ISDN port on the second BT line, (Big box supplied by BT)..

Router is configured to use ADSL as primary and ISDN as fallback

Tried unplugging ADSL RJ11 cable and fallback was seamless., more or less.. ISDN connection was abt 3 seconds..

Thing to remember is that ISDN is on the plusnet 0845 dial in number, so you will be paying per minute for the connection.

Hope this helps..

Dave
N/A

Ours has been on ISDN fallback for the past week, it might be worth considering whether you would instantly notice it had switched over - possibly only plugging in the ISDN line when ADSL fails is an idea?

If there is a fault (and you are fairly sure its not the equipment) I'd suggest stressing that you would be happy to pay the potential £50 callout charge, otherwise support might stall for a few days which could easily cost more than £50 in call charges.
grimme
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, most informative.

When it's on the ISDN fallback, given the cost on an 0845 number, when the ADSL comes back up again, is the transfer back onto the ADSL line just as seamless?

Judging by the amount of problems people seem to be having with their ADSL lines at the moment, I might consider sticking with the ISDN as we can't really afford to be without mail and internet and the thought of the cost of being on a 0845 ISDN line for a whole week makes me feel quite unwell!

Thanks.
N/A

I was elsewhere and didn't find out nothing happened for three days. When I got ever so slightly grumpy about this a fault was found within 1/2 an hour and bt are coming tomorrow, so seven days is probably a bit unlikely. YMMV though

I'll let you know how quickly it switches back ( almost instantly would be my guess). Anyway you can set a timeout on the isdn connection, so it needn't cost the earth.

Now up and running again, took about 10 minutes to sync properly but switched over after that.