cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downstream slower than Upstream!

N/A

Hi

Been with PN for just over a month now on maxDSL. Was getting around 1700 - 1900 Kbps. Not great I know but much better than my previous dial-up.

However, since Thurs been getting only around 240 Kbps!
In fact my router is reporting 352 Kbps Downstream and 448 Kbps Upstream! Is this possible?

No joy from PN tech support yet.

Anybody have any suggestions experience of this.

Thanks

Scott
19 REPLIES
colorado
Dabbler

Hi Scott

This has happened to me also, best speed currently is 130kbps I was, as you, on 1700-1900. My modem/router is syncing at 2800 but I can only get this lousey speed. I have an outstanding ticket and I am waiting for PN to reply. It seems strange that this happened on the same day, you dont live in Chester, do you?

Have tried the online BB troubleshooting wizard, the only thing it said was that my exchange was "overcommitted" I have since checked this and nowhere does it say that Chester Central exchange is, or ever has been, overcommitted.

If you get a reply from Tech Support please post the result as I would be grateful to compare their responce.

Thanks

Kevin
shellsong
Grafter

You know what they say-- it's much better to give than to receive! Tongue
N/A

Hi Kevin

Glad to know it's not just me!

No, not in Chester.

Been waiting nearly 2 days for reply Sad

Will post when I get an anser.

Cheers

Scott
colorado
Dabbler

Hi All

Just an update, tried to contact PN this morning on both the lo call and premium number, got cut off everytime; charming.

Just came in and tried the connection now at a heady 500kbps !!!!!

Only got to multiply that by 4 and will be back where I was on Thursday. This MaxDSL seems to be causing one or two problems for people, I suppose I cannot complain too much as I seem to have a lousy connection, but 2Mb was all I really wanted as long as it was RELIABLE. Lets hope this can all be put down to teething troubles, I still await an explaination from PN and assurance things will get better.

Good luck to one and all

Kevin
N/A

Speed drop

Hi folks,

Just to add my tupennies worth, after scanning the forums here this thread seems to mirror my current problems.

After no email from PlusNet, I seemed to be converting to MaxSL and was well pleased that my 512Mb connection was doubled and was syncing at around 1400-1600 even though I'd been told in the past the most I could expect was the half meg. I had download readings of near 1000 and speeds of 120Kb. Then, after a week or so of this, speed drops to around 450 enabling downloads of a pre-upgrade level.

Raised a support ticket when this didn't look like moving (even though I was still syncing at around 1400kbps) and got a reply Saturday 13th to say my "profile had been lifted" and that "once delta reports had been received my speed should increase".

Since then, speeds have dropped to a God-awful 130kbps which means I can download at a heady 15kbps. WooHoo!

Another reply to my ticket (Had I switched off the modem/router for at least an hourHuh - I'd by that time named my modem, knitted it a cosy cardigan and had been feeding it warm milk and cookies to try and coax it to get moving) came and still no joy. Spent the best part of yesterday and this evening trailing cables direct to master sockets, checking computer settings, etc. and things haven't changed. Best of it is, my upload sync of 448 is allowing me to upload at 40k plus so things are working in one direction a least.

Guess I'll have to stick out a few more days and see what settles. What with email taking 2 days to arrive, downloads of 33.6 modem quality, this internet's driving me absolutely PlusNuts... (sorry.... Shockedops: )

Brian
N/A

It's quite comforting to know others are suffering as well..... Cheesy

All the problems (ALL of them) mentioned so far are the same for me as well. My upload speed is currently faster than my download speed. I had speeds of 130K but I'm now at a brisk 470K.

I have a theory about this btw. I think PN have us all 'throttled'. We are incorrectly lumped into the 'used your capacity' brigade. I don't think it will improve once our billing period comes round though - I just think they have us lumped into the wrong catagory and we're staying there.

I hope it's something simple for them to fix cos I'm getting a bit fed up with the whole thing now. They're not showing any inclination to resolve these problems though - I guess they have a lot on their plate right now I suppose. :roll:
keithcalder
Grafter

Here here, I got the same problems too, my router syncing at 4600kbps obtaining the following results from the speed tester:

15-05-2006 23:10:54 1035.1
15-05-2006 21:34:52 522.6
15-05-2006 21:28:37 417.3
15-05-2006 20:49:32 349.7
15-05-2006 20:40:56 394.8
15-05-2006 20:06:50 819.5
15-05-2006 19:56:21 719.5
15-05-2006 19:53:07 345.5
15-05-2006 19:52:35 582.3
15-05-2006 18:28:44 974.3
15-05-2006 18:23:26 977.9

Breath taking speeds from a line with an MSR of 4MB.
N/A

Hi

My router is now indicating a download speed of around 2200 Kbps but my actual speed test results are still around 240 Kbps!
Tech support has been pretty much non-existent.

I still have 5 days of my 45 day 'trial' period left with PN. if it's not fixed within 48 hours I'm moving ISP.

The annoying thing is I moved to PN because the customer service is supposed to be good. This is not my idea of good service.

Very disappointed Sad
Slipperymack
Grafter

Hello

My Modem is synching around the 5.5 mb level - and has been for a few 4/5 days. However my download speed is between 400 to - 480kps.

I raised a ticket and got this eventual reply -

"Your comment 5:30pm, Monday 15th May 2006
Hello - thanks for your reply.

My modem is currently synching @ 5.3 mb. But it has varied over last few days between around that and about 6.3.

Does this mean I have to do more speed test using the PN fault checker and then raise another ticket? (I did two BT test last night -one of which I attach)?

Please explain exactly what I need to do.

Thanks

David Marshall 1:44pm, Tuesday 16th May 2006
Dear Mr BROOKS,
For the line speed to change we require the delta reports from BT.
These occur every few days when the modem is synching at a constant speed so that the average speed can be recorded by them.
Once they issue the delta reports the profile on the line is changed, this will affect the speed and allow you to achieve a different speed.
Please leave your connection up and running for a few days making sure the connection is reset a few times a day.
This will then issue a delta report.

Regards,
David Marshall

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html2

So we wait and see :?:

Before MAXDSL (which commenced 1/5/06) I had 2.00 with a constant 1.8ish download speed. My upload speed at present is almost the same as my download :!: :roll:
colorado
Dabbler

Hi All

Just a quick update, been waiting for a reply from PN and three come on the same day.

Dear Mr Eames,
Unfortuantely, as the speed tests are above the minimum levels, we cannot raise this as a speedfault.

However, please try disabling firewalls and antivirus programs, and advise if your speed improves. Disconnecting your equipment and reconnecting it a few times may also connect you to another gateway, which may also resolve the issue.

Regards,
Dave Wilson

Dear Mr Eames,
One reason I can see for your slow speeds is that the Delta report we receive from BT is currantly set to 500k. This means that at some point your modem/router must has synced at 512k so the through put to your connection was limited to 512k. What speed is your modem/router syncing at? if it is higher that 512k it will need to do this consistantly for 3 days for the speed to increase. I would recommend restarting your modem/router each day to alow the router to sync at higher speeds.

Regards,
John Cowling

Dear Mr Eames,
I have checked your logs with BT and you should be syncing at 2.5MB. The maximum stable rate (MSR) has been set at 1152Kbps (1MB) but the last delta report we received says the speed is 512Kbps. The MSR is the fastest speed the line has worked on since the line was changed over.

The speeds are correct according to BT's systems.

Regards,
Kevin Scott

I have to add that the tests at "speedtest@speedtest_domain" recorded a download speed of 1900kbps, whilst I could only get 500kbps through the PN speed test. Now tell me if I am wrong but doesnt that mean that there is a problem with the PN side of things.

I have to say the explaination does not reflect my experience, I have recorded over 1800 on the PN speedtest not the 1152 they are quoting. All through this my modem has synched at 2500-2800, I am personally at a loss and dont know what the future holds, I will wait and see if things improve.

Good luck all

Kevin
N/A

My problem is slightly different - PN speedtest and also adslguide speedtest both show 1.8Mb/s, yet my actual speed for real downloads over a few MB has dropped to about 100kb/s in the last few days. Thought it might be a new contention 'feature', but it seems pretty consistent even at 7am this morning. Does look a bit like PN doing some throttling when they detect a continuous connection to the same IP - presumably this is possible though not mentioned in any of their policies AFAIK ?
N/A

Is it only me? Am I the only one that is getting over 5000kbps, I have noticed the speed does go up and down a bit, it has been as low as 1700 kbps. The only problem is that I'm on a capped service which means I have to be a little careful about how I use my new found speed. Oh and the upload says its connected at 448 K and the download connection is stating 8.1 M. Thanks PN for upgrading so quickly
N/A

Hi All,

I have similar problems too. Moved house and got connected to Plusnet on 11/05. I didn't realise new residential accounts would automatically get ADSL Max but I thought cool. My router almost always synchs at downstream ~4000kbps, upstream 448. My stable rate was 2500 and speedtests confirmed this. SNR for downstream was 6-7db.

It was working ok, not as stable as I'd hoped but it was still the first few days. I'd rebooted my router many times to hopefully get my speed profile setup quicker. On Sunday I saw my stable rate had been reduced to 500 for some reason and speedtests confirmed it. On Monday morning the stable rate was still 500 but I could only get 128kbps downloads. At 3.30pm on Monday the router suddenly lost synch and would not reconnect.

After a few mins I checked the phone line and there was no dial tone. A few mins later the dial tone was back but there was a buzzing noise every second. Few mins later dial tone back to normal but router could not synch at all. Been like that ever since. It's been nearly 48 hours without broadband. I've raised a ticket but I'm still waiting for a reply from my last update over 24 hours ago.

Not happy Sad I want to work from home. I'm having to work from my parents down the road on a nice stable fixed 2Mbps connection. Maybe I should have gone for the Teleworker package. Do new business products also get put on ADSL Max?

Regards,
Tim
N/A

Hi all
Just an update on my situation.

I'm now synching at around 1800 but getting 930. This is much better than the 230 I was getting since Thurs. However it is only half the 1800 or so I have been getting before last week.

PN have replied. More speed tests required!

Fun, fun, fun.

Good luck. Cool

Scott